complete tear down

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
goofour

complete tear down

Post by goofour »

I want to completely tear down my new model 92. Are there any benefits from polishing the carrier or the barrel chamber throat ? And my biggest question is what surprises can I expect when I remove the carrier or the left cartridge guide ? I know their are springs and pins involved!
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: complete tear down

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

There are several thoughts on this, but I can tell you from personal experience, if you want a slicker then ice , action then a complete tear down and polishing of each component can give you that. I wouldn't touch the throat, don't want to play with head space in anyway. Surprises? Deal with each component at one time and I don't think you'll have any. A good set of screw drivers and punches are all that's needed, of course, good quality sand paper up to 1200 grit and polishing compound and your good to go. I went so far on my first Rossi, that every drift pin was removed and polished as well. Doing this really gave me a working knowledge how every part worked and its relation to every other working part. Like I said, end result made my 357 really slick. Now ask me if I went through this with my other two 92's. I did not, but I knew exactly what to do to get it where I was happy with the action, but in no way do they compare how they feel when I pull that lever. So take your time, do your due diligence, and you'll be fine. One part I left out is lubrication. I used molybdenum grease on the locking bolts and pivot points of the hammer and lever and bolt slides. Everything else used a good gun spray lubricant. If you get to a fork in the road, and not sure which way to go, just ask, plenty of good folks here can help.

Let us know how your making out, always good to follow along on ones progress.
Last edited by NavyDoc76-80 on 03 Dec 2015 02:46, edited 1 time in total.
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
goofour

Post by goofour »

Thanks NavyDoc76-80 I spent two evenings working on the trigger, bolt and lever and I have practiced reassembling them but I needed to ask for advice before I went any further. I will use your advice and keep going.
Plus I love taking sht apart.
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Good deal goof, it's not normal what I did from what I can tell, but like you, I like taking things apart and see what makes them tick. This may be obvious but to answer your question, is it beneficial? My thought was, remove as much friction as possible. Worked for me but it was a lot of work but I couldn't have been more pleased with the results.
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Thoughts on springs is another worth while topic, as with a total tear down, there are springs seldom discussed that you can play with for a lighter feel. Now the spring steel springs I wouldn't adjust, I would let time and usage take care of itself. The only change I made, and it wasn't a physical change but a modification to, was shimming the trigger spring steel to lighten up the trigger pull. Everything that wasn't hands on experience I learned here. I think I read and researched more then asked question but you can bet I sure did ask my fair share. (Haven't stopped asking really)It's been a great ride, stick around and you may find its a ride hard to get off of.
Dave M
--//--
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Hi goof,

If you chamber mouth has a sharp edge on the bottom, it would not hurt to break that edge with say some 600 grit paper. I would do no more than take the sharp corner off, and then put some polish on a rag stuck in a slit cut into the end of a stick, chucked in a drill. Make the rag to big to go into the chamber so that it bears on the chambers edge. That ought to polish it up pretty good.

Not a lot you can do to the carrier it's self. I read where some guys smooth the surface where the bullet slides back to the stop. But I really do not see where that helps anything. But when you get the carrier out, you can see that the end of the plunger (carrier stop) is usually rough and can use a good polishing and smoothing. Also the notches cut into the receiver, or left cartridge guide, for the carrier stop to detent into. Are pretty rough too, and a little smoothing of the edges with that 600 paper and polish, will make the carrier work much smoother. The carrier stop SPRING is usually extremely strong too. I have cut it on some of mine to lighten it a little, but if you do this BE CAREFUL as it is easy to go to far and then you have to get another spring. But if you do take the spring out, be sure to smooth and polish the sides of that plunger. And while your at it smooth out the hole it goes into too. There is usually some crude in there and the hole is never smooth. This same thing can be done to the lever friction stud and spring.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
goofour

Post by goofour »

After two weeks of filing sanding and fitting plus buying every small spring in town for the perfect ejection. The gun works perfectly. I can run the lever with only two fingers and ran 38's and 357's without jamming up. I learned a lot from Rossi-Rifleman Thanks Thanks Thanks!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

goofour wrote:After two weeks of filing sanding and fitting plus buying every small spring in town for the perfect ejection. The gun works perfectly. I can run the lever with only two fingers and ran 38's and 357's without jamming up. I learned a lot from Rossi-Rifleman Thanks Thanks Thanks!
Thank your for your comments. Glad the forum served it's purpose!
Michael
alphalimafoxtrot

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

Just chiming in,

I too am a new owner of a 16" .357 R92 carbine and just last night did a complete take-down. What a great old gun my new gun is...LOL!

As a guy who collects, shoots, and restores old guns of many flavors it is a lot of fun to see JMB's old-style handiwork within the R92.

Now, of course the new gun is going to need some smoothing out and springs replaced as is common practice, for those who feel so inclined. The funny thing is how the old Remington 8's, 81's, 14's, and shotguns Model 10, 11, and Stevens 520/620's I have worked with don't usually ever need any slicking up - being 50-100 years old is a great way to "wear in" an action...

Having fun and hope you all do too!
And Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays to all.

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.