Magazine tube not releasing rounds

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Matt_Mc99

Magazine tube not releasing rounds

Post by Matt_Mc99 »

Happy Thanksgivings All. I have a new R92 SS in 44 mag. The tube is not releasing rounds when the action is cycled. I have not yet fired the rifle, but cycling live rounds in 44 mag and special.

I disassembled the rifle and made sure the spring for the end of the bullet guide was installed properly. I lightly polished and lubed the internal contact surfaces, reassembled and no improvement on the issue. The action is definitely better, but feeding 4 out of 10 is no bueno.
Any suggestions?

Thank you.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Magazine tube not releasing rounds

Post by Ranch Dog »

So the rounds are not being released from the tube... right off the bat I think of the Cartridge Stop which is hinged to the forward end of the left Cartridge Guide. More specifically, the Cartridge Stop Spring behind it. The Stop works in conjunction with the Carrier, releasing and limiting cartridge feed. We have seen some Cartridge Stop Springs installed wrong.

With the action open, reach in with a slotted screwdriver and see if the Stop will flex toward the left wall of the receiver. It will not move very much, something less than a 1/4", just enough to release a case rim. If the Spring was installed inside out, it will be fixed or kind of flop. It should flex toward the receiver wall and pop back toward the magazine follower.

This might or might not be it but it is the easiest thing to check and requires no disassembly.
Michael
Matt_Mc99

Post by Matt_Mc99 »

Thank you for the reply. The bullet stop moves easily and the spring was correctly installed. The screw holding the lt bullet guide and bullet stop/spring was fully tightened, so I backed it out about 1 and a 1/4 turn, and the bullets started feeding normally, so I loctited the screw in place at that depth. Time will tell after the first trip to the range.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Matt_Mc99 wrote:Thank you for the reply. The bullet stop moves easily and the spring was correctly installed. The screw holding the lt bullet guide and bullet stop/spring was fully tightened, so I backed it out about 1 and a 1/4 turn, and the bullets started feeding normally, so I loctited the screw in place at that depth. Time will tell after the first trip to the range.
Very interesting and thanks for the report back. Got'ta ponder the tension provided by the screw against the spring. As long as the cartridge guides are still secure enough to feed all is good. I wonder if the spring is over or under bent compared to others.
Michael
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

We see this quite often. And it seems like most of the time that if the spring "is" installed correctly, then it is likely that the cartridge stop in just not moving to the outside enough, to let a cartridge rim pass it. Since you have already worked on it a little, I'll assume you don't mind doing a little more.

Firmly, cycle the lever a few times. Now With the bolt back, and looking down at the carrier,the stop should be resting against the side of the follower. Take something (screwdriver) and push the carrier down out of the way so you can see better whats happening. Use your screwdriver and push forward on the mag tube follower. The cartridge stop should SNAP slightly toward the center of the gun. And now holds the follower on it's reward flat surface Like it would be doing to a cartridge. Now push forward on the cartridge stop, and the follower should SNAP back out a little to it's original position.

IF....all this happens, then your stop spring, is correctly installed and your stop, is moving freely like it should be. If this does not happen, then the spring is in wrong or weak, or the stop is binding on it's pivot or pin and needs freeing up.

So now the only thing to do is to trim the bottom corner of the stop so that it will clear the hole enough to let the cartridge rim get pass it. Take the mag tube out and look through it's hole from the front of the receiver. With the lever down and bolt back,the stop will be at the full stop position with the follower out of the way. Now close the lever/bolt, and see where the stop is. It's probably still in the way a good bit. Be sure to allow for the thickness of the mag tube and maybe mark it with a pencil. It should be easy to see how much you need to file off of the corner to gain enough clearance to just let a round get by. I'd go a little at a time and try it before going all the way to the mark.

I had to do this to my 45C just last week. I guess over time, it had worn enough that now the stop was moving a little father over to the center than it use to, or did not get outta the way enough like it use to.

You know that locktite fix aint gonna last. Plus like RD said. The tolerance between the guides is usually pretty tight, it has to be to keep the rounds from flipping out when the bolt opens. So loosing the guide enough to make the stop work will probably cause other feeding issues, like rounds not wanting to come up into position on the carrier.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70