Model 92 in .45 colt will not lever down

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
remus

Model 92 in .45 colt will not lever down

Post by remus »

Had the rifle out last weekend and it worked flawlessly. Took it out today and loaded five or six rounds into the tube and attempted to lever one into the chamber. The lever moved about half an inch down and will not go any further. Impossible to chamber a round. Fiddled with it for awhile out on the range with no success.

Anyone else had a problem like this. This is the first problem I've have with this rifle and it has probably between 350 to 450 rds through it.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Model 92 in .45 colt will not lever down

Post by mr surveyor »

just for grins, try taking out the "grub screw" (top forward most on left side of receiver) and use a punch to lightly tap the lever/bolt pin in ... then try to cycle the action (and replace the screw).

just a thought for a possible easy remedy

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

JD's guess is my guess as well.
Michael
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

mr surveyor wrote:just for grins, try taking out the "grub screw" (top forward most on left side of receiver) and use a punch to lightly tap the lever/bolt pin in ... then try to cycle the action (and replace the screw).

just a thought for a possible easy remedy

jd
Jd, you are one fart smeller, im thinking the whole machanical function of the action, coming up with this and that what would cause this to happen but that pin backing out. And when it does, as in not seating it far enough will do exactly what remus is describing. How do I know? Don't ask.
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

hey, I just know what I've read here at RRF in the last couple of years. After I posted, the thought hit me that it could be a cartridge jumping ship in the lower action, or something else. I just remembered that I intentionally eased the bolt/lever pin to the West a tiny bit on my .44 to see what happened (after reading about the issue here), and it seemed to do just that type lockup. I'm just passing on what I read on the internet :lol:

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

sometimes the guides on each side come loose as well causing it to lock up
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
remus

Post by remus »

I was going to try you'alls cure for my problem but I didn't have to. Yesterday I took the buttstock off the rifle to try and see up inside for problems. Couldn't. Today I thought the grub screw thing was the way to go and that it would be easier for me to have the buttstock on the rifle for that task. Put it back on but had to smack the tar out of it to get it all the way forward. Surprisingly something got jarred loose and the lever started working. I took the grub screw out anyway and squirted some break free into the hole a couple of times hopefully cleaning out the area some. Squirted more down in the action parts.

It works fine now and I thank you all for your ideas and concerns.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I'm always cautious of mechanical things that HEAL themselves as I figure if they bound up it was for a reason.
remus

Post by remus »

Yeah, me too Archer. I think the main problem was a lack of proper cleaning of the rifle. Usually only barrel and chamber. Lots of buildup of several residues. I only shot cast bullets in the rifle, lots of lead, and lube, and powder residue. Also live in a desert which don't help. I'll clean it better from now on and see what happens. Things oftentime get sticky when they get real dirty.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Well having lived in the South and now living in the desert I can tell you there's pluses and minuses to both.
In the desert, unless you are running a swamp cooler, you have fewer rust issues.
Lubricant can dry out faster though and you may have grit and sand to deal with.
Of course if you happen to be living/shooting in a sandy area back east or you are near the cost along the gulf or Atlantic you can still get issues with sand and grit.

I had a buddy with a S&W 1500 bolt action rifle when we were going to GATech that failed to fire and jammed up so tight one guy had to hold it while another kicked the bolt open. This was on a DNR range about an hour out of Atlanta. Seems a tiny grain of quartz sand got in one of the bolt air vent holes and jammed up the firing pin and/or spring. Pretty annoying when you've got a live round in the gun and have pulled the trigger to get a click and you can't open the bolt.