Wood

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
GasGuzzler

Wood

Post by GasGuzzler »

This is not a tutorial or a how-to. It's more of a "this is how I've done it before and how I'm doing it now with a camera". Some members that are more traditional than I may scoff and cuss at my method. I've done several this way and they're all very durable without looking the part. They all look better than anything OEM aside from expensive (that's relative I know) or hand made stocks, all started with "cheap and mass made wood".

Once this one is done (or any other like it), there will be next to no maintenance.

Below you'll find pictures of my progress and my dialog. I intend to sell this once it's done. More on that later....as this is not a classified ad.

Here's where I start. It's hardly dented, no finish wear to point out, one scuff......BUT IT'S COVERED WITH RUGER MUD.

Here's a close up. There is some grain in there. Most of what you see is "paint".

I have to tape off the holes. Because I chemically strip all that gunk off I can't waste time picking, chipping, filing, cursing the boogers that fall in the recesses and dry during the strip process. It takes 11 minutes to mask it. It'll save mucho time later.

Next comes the stripper......NO, that that stripper. Wear gloves. I'm no sissy and I've had this crap on my hands...I prefer NOT to from now on. You can sustain chemical burns, etc. We're not stupid here. You get the picture.

You'll likely have to do this several (once again that's relative so objectively I'll say 3-4 times) times but don't short cut and don't get discouraged. When you get to the sanding stage there can be no evidence of the original thickly applied yacht-ness. Trace amounts are harder than the wood beneath so sanding the piece becomes troublesome.

The foam brushes are cheap but don't expect them to last and don't reuse them.

Here's a close up of the chemicals at work.

Then the gentle removal of the goop begins. Use a plastic card or a bunch of rags or something disposable to clear away the gunk. This is the messy and sucky part. Head up, keep working! Be safe, wear gloves.

You can see a pile of semi-dried crumbs of stain in the background.

After all the clods are removed and you wipe it down well, you get this....THE new start.

At this point I have this stock ready for "my super self-judgmental sanding extravaganza". I'll post more pics of the progress as I go but to hint I'll say that I'll be starting with 360 paper if I have some or 400 I know I have. Later I'll move to 600 then 1000....BEFORE the stain.

That's where we come full circle. If someone wants or thinks he needs this, now is the time to speak up and claim its purchase with the ability (as of now) to choose the color of stain (within reason). I have light, medium, dark, and really dark....plus a redish one called "gunstock".

It's not for sale because it's not done.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Wood

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

+corn
Waiting for next installment.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Unless I missed it, you didn't say what the stock is fitted for.
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Oops.

Ruger 10/22.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Okie44

Post by Okie44 »

Gonna be purty! :mrgreen:
“Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement.”
― Mark Twain
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I think so. Still a few days for someone to express interest and choose the finish. I'll just do something creative if no one needs it.

It's a tapered profile carbine stock.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

The Romy G is just simple BLO, the wasr stocks is rit die whine I think. then poly over them. Only showing some I've done. I have 2 1022 tapered stocks stashed away for a rainy day.
It means almost any color of rit dye could be used on that stock. I look forward to seeing what you use.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

You gave me an idea I might try if no one steps up in the next couple of days.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Cool I know rit dye is everywhere and in so many colors so it can be fun. Main thing if u use the dye is to seal it well. Or some mix the dye into a varnish but I never liked my results with that process. Keep us posted.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
GasGuzzler

Wood

Post by GasGuzzler »

Started sanding. Most of the hard part is done. Still time for calling dibs.

I'm experimenting with several methods right now but once I see results I'll tell you what I did. For now, just another teaser pic as it's getting closer to color time.