stainless rifle ebony stained stock ???

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Maximumbob54
250 Shots
250 Shots

stainless rifle ebony stained stock ???

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I've been idly thinking of stripping and re-staining my stainless R92's stock. I just rubbed some wax into the existing orange looking finish so it stopped rubbing off on my face and hands. I've tried a couple of times using Google's image search to see what an ebony stain would look like on a stainless rifle. In my head the contrast seems like it would look good. The closest I've been able to find are guns with the black finished laminate stocks which just isn't the same thing. I don't want a jet black ink dyed finish and would rather hope some of the grain would still show through in various darker shades. The worry I have is black stains aren't the easiest things to reverse so it's kind of all or nothing. Does anyone have any pictures they could share of anything close to this?
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: stainless rifle ebony stained stock ???

Post by akuser47 »

here is one that will give you an idea

Last edited by Ranch Dog on 03 Oct 2015 23:57, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Linked the picture directly into your post.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Maximumbob54
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Maximumbob54 »

He said that's black paint but I guess it does give an idea. I like the contrast but straight black is a bit much for what I want to achieve.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Yea I should have said this but even cleaner more fluid look from an ebony stain, but yes it will be very sexy
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Coop 45

Post by Coop 45 »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
This is one I did about 4 years ago. It's a Lithgow 1A. Manufactured in Australia from 1945 these were an engineering marvel. The barrel and the action are all one piece, to reduce costs and make them affordable to post war customers. Over 220 000 were made. The steel used was the same as the SMLE .303's so you'll never wear one out.

When I got this one it had a lacquer/estapol finish and very little bluing left. First job was to use a chemical stripper. The stock is coachwood, an Australian timber with a very straight, open grain.

To fill the grain I mixed up a slurry of water based ebony timber filler and water and wiped it on. Once this was dry it got sanded back until it was almost all gone. This filled to open grain. Depending on what type of timber your stock is this may not be required but it does help to get an even finish. Using an oil such as Tru oil would also fill the grain, but after the stain is applied.

Next was the stain. I used fiest Watson proof tint in ebony. I've used this stuff a bit and found the trick is to put it on much heavier than you think. Do it all in one go fairly quickly, maintaining a wet edge.

Then to get the tone you want you wait until it is touch dry and then use a clean cloth and rub it back a bit. You will find some will come off as you do this. The longer you wait the less that will come off.

Lastly I just put a coat of wax on this one. If your going to use oil don't rub the first coat in too hard.

Lastly, as I had a small win on the pokies I had the bolt, trigger guard and take down screw chromed (cost twice what I payed for the rifle).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Shoot straight you bastards, don't make a mess of it" Captain Harry "Breaker" Morant, last words to his firing squad.
92 45 Colt 20" stainless
Maximumbob54
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Now that's what I'm talking about to perfection. And that is a sweet old rifle. I'm hoping in decent light the grain is still visible. What I don't want is to hide the grain so much as just darken everything up for the contrast. Thanks!!!