R92 Octagon Barrel Front Sight Suggestions?

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Iplayfarmer

R92 Octagon Barrel Front Sight Suggestions?

Post by Iplayfarmer »

My R92 in .357 Magnum with an Octagon barrel shoots low even with the rear sight adjusted all the way down. I need a taller front sight, and I'd like some suggestions.

I've done some research here and elsewhere on the internet, and I have more questions than answers at this point.

Are there sights specific to the octagon vs. the round barrel?
Who has sights that will fit the somewhat oversize dovetail on the Rossi barrels?
While I'm at it, is there a whole new sight system that works better?
Has anyone attempted this and failed? What do I need to watch out for?

Half the reason I got the lever action was for the vintage look and feel. I've found fiber optic sights out there, but I don't know if they'll fit and I know I don't want the look of fiber optic sights on my vintage looking firearm.

I'm eager for this discussion as I'd really like to get this sight replaced and then spend some good range time sighting this rifle in. I'm looking forward to consistent, tight groups right in the bulls eye.
jdl447

Re: R92 Octagon Barrel Front Sight Suggestions?

Post by jdl447 »

Take a look at Skinner sights, you can order them online.
Iplayfarmer

Post by Iplayfarmer »

I realized I had made a mistake in my original post. My gun actually shoots high. I have to aim low.

Thanks JDL447 for the heads up about the skinner sights. I have looked at them previously, but due to your recommendation I am looking in more detail. Have you used them?
jdl447

Post by jdl447 »

Not on my Rossi but I have them on a Browning BL 22. I couldn't focus on the rear sight with my trifocals the peep made a big difference on that rifle. The stock sights on my Rossi I have no trouble seeing.
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Bibletotingunslinger »

Iplayfarmer I got one word for you,,,,,, Marbles, you can buy em from Brownells,
They have all different height sites, call em they help, 800 741-0015 Brownells.com
Don't ask me to do anything where where I can't take Bible and Gun, I would leave Dog home, but reluctantly.
rman
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by rman »

Have you tried Steve's Gunz? That's where I bought mine for a 20" octagon barrel 92 in .357 mag. Mine fit the dovetail perfectly. Height wasn't too much of an issue because I have a Williams FP peep sight with lots of adjustment.

http://store.stevesgunz.com/index.php?m ... Path=21_23
At my age, there IS nothing better than shooting.
silvertip

Post by silvertip »

Originally I replaced the factory front sight for my Rossi R92 with 24" octagonal barrel with a Marble's front sight in a .410 height and 1/16" white bead; turned out to be not tall enough. I later exchanged this first sight for the same sight in a .500 height (Marble's Product #105032). This sight gives me all the adjustment that I need for my rifle that wears a Williams 5D receiver sight. I have had it on this rifle for over a year now and find that the 1/16" white bead is correct for my 69 year old eyes in most lighting conditions. Price from Midway was just over half of what Steve Gunz wanted for his similar front sight.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

My octagonal .44 mag shoots pretty much to point of aim.