Problems feeding my 92

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Longfield

Problems feeding my 92

Post by Longfield »

Long time no see.
I got some problems with my Rossi 92.
First of all, I am sorry for my bad English. I am from Denmark. I do not know all the English terms for the different parts in the gun, but I’ll give it a try.
The gun is now having problems feeding the cartridges. It worked fine for the first 1000-2000 shots.
It is starting to take more than one cartridge from the magazine. It is taking one cartridge, and a little bit of the next one.
I have tried to bend the spring that holds the little “hook” that holds the cartridges inside the magazine, but that did not help. I also tried to polish the metal, so the little “hook” could go in just 1/10 mm further in front of the magazine.
My first thought was, that the cartridges I was using, had a to small ring on the shell, or to short cartridges. Used .38 shells, reloaded several times. But the problem is still there when I am using brand new factory loaded .357. When using new .357 it just pushes the cartridge back off the stop of the “sledge/carrier”.
I am thinking about cutting some material off the magazine spring, as the problem is less when the is less tension on the magazine spring, but I somehow fell, that that is not the solution.
Any ideas?
People think that the human brain is in the head. Nothing of the sort; it is carried by the wind from the Caspian Sea.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Problems feeding my 92

Post by Ranch Dog »

It might be that the far end of the Cartridge Stop, the "hook" you identified in your post, is worn. This is going to be tough to diagnose if so without a replacement. You have anyone around you with a 92 that would let you use some parts from their rifle to investigate the problem with yours?
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Before cutting I would do a complete tear down n check if your guides have come loose on each side just a little loose can cause all kinds of problems as well. As rd mentioned the cartridge stop can cause issues as well. Keep us posted
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Longfield

Post by Longfield »

akuser47 wrote:Before cutting I would do a complete tear down n check if your guides have come loose on each side just a little loose can cause all kinds of problems as well. As rd mentioned the cartridge stop can cause issues as well. Keep us posted
+guns You rock!
I have done a complete tear down, cleaned and, and, and.
But, well not complete tear down, it seems.
The word was "a litle loose"!
The only thing I did not disample, was the loading gate.
Guess what? The skrew holding the loading gate was loose, letting the gate go to far out.
Seems like it is working now.
People think that the human brain is in the head. Nothing of the sort; it is carried by the wind from the Caspian Sea.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Good lesson! Forest for the trees kind of thing!
Michael
Longfield

Post by Longfield »

Ranch Dog wrote:Good lesson! Forest for the trees kind of thing!
Yes :D
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
Your English is as good as some individuals I have talked to that live in the US of A.
I have a 1892 Winchester down here that when I received it would double feed regularly. I removed the bolt and the left side guide rail and found the inner side where the spring for the cartridge stop is to be full of old grease and residue. Once that was cleaned out and well lubricated the 44WCF rifle made in the early 1900's feeds proper ammunition works as it should.
Mike in Peru

Just read the whole thread... Good to read it was a simple adjustment !
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Glad you figured it out and good for the rest of us to know.
I wouldn't have expected a loose loading gate to have caused double feeds.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Thanks for keeping us posted. Now she should be good for a couple thousand more rounds.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Longfield

Post by Longfield »

With the loose loading gate, there was enough space to let the cartridge bypass the stop on the carrier.

Now I have sanded the wood and are giving it oil. Just because :-)
So it will be ready for another year of hunting and joy.