help reassymbly of model 92 357

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Quinc
Founding Member
Founding Member

help reassymbly of model 92 357

Post by Quinc »

Almost have her back together but i am stuck on putting the lever back on. I have a empty case in the chamber holding the bolt in place but i cannot get the lever back in. Also not sure how to get the bolt open now without it. Anyone know of any videos online showing it being put back together, or have any tips? I will probably get the steve dvd, but would like to shoot it tomorrow.
"Everyone has a plan tell they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: help reassymbly of model 92 357

Post by akuser47 »

In this video he explains his process around the 5 minute and 30 second time frame for this hope it helps very few videos on this except Steve's which is not online but for sale. Not as good as steves but it should get you started to release your bolt you need to push it out carefully. It should come out, but be careful it will eject the caseing and you can loose the spring and bushing. So I would hold a bag over it when you do this so you can collect the items easy. hope this helps. You can use a one peice cleaning rod to push your bolt out be careful and mindful of the barrel crown as you do this or use a wood dowlrod you should be able to push your bolt out this way make sure it fits into the case so it does not crush the shell caseing in the chamber and cause a bigger headache.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Gx7-k8W2eA
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Quinc
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Quinc »

Thank you for the video! Now I have the lever back in and the pin in but I cant open the lever more then about an inch.. This is by far the most pain in the %@*&$ rifle i have worked on...
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

the screw that retains the bolt pin is probably to tigh try to loosen it a bit I bet that will free her back up make sure you degrease and blue loctight this crew and other so they don't loosen to the point of falling out. I am betting this is your problem let me know I will try to figure it out if this doesn't fix it mine has to stay pretty loose cause if I screw it to tight it will bind up my action. also make sure you drove the bolt pin properly in if it sticks out at all it will cause this to.
Quinc
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Quinc »

Still no luck. I can get it to open and close without the pin in but it's not staying in the notch. Do I need to put the two locking bolts in as well or should it work with just the lever in? Thank you for the help! :oops:
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Quinc wrote:Still no luck. I can get it to open and close without the pin in but it's not staying in the notch. Do I need to put the two locking bolts in as well or should it work with just the lever in? Thank you for the help! :oops:
Now this is something I did when I did mine over a year ago. Did you perhaps put the locking bolts (#60 and #63 in the exploded view in the manual) on the wrong sides? Not know how far you took it down so I don't know. The do have a left and right and easy to reverse them.
Joe
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

You should attach the two locking lugs first then put the lever back into the gun, But the bolt needs to be out about half an inch but the dummy cartridge holds the ejector together inside the bolt put the lever up into it with locking lugs on and roll it closed as you do and then insert you pins. So imaging you have the lever fully open as you insert it into the gun and once in side close it. It will close the bolt and all should be in postion correctly. Then insert the lever pin and all should work. Add the screws and you are set. You may have to play with the lever a bit to place the pin don't open it just wiggle it until the pin goes in and then drive it home with a punch.
As stated above the lug with the screws lots goes on the left hand side of the lever. just in case this is the issue.
If you were trying to insert the lever with the bolt fully closed than that was the issue the whole time no worries, Let me know if this gets you together.
Quinc
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Quinc »

I tried it with just the bolt and the lever. Once I put that pin it, it will not release the bolt. Second I take the pin out I can release the bolt. I will try it again tonight attaching the locking lugs first. :x
Quinc
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Quinc »

Thank the lord! Finally got her put back together! Thank you all for your help! =)
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Glad to hear it. They can make you want to pull your hair out but after you do it a few times it gets easier and easier. I have found I cannot wait to get a rossi 92 .45lc as soon as a good deal comes my way. and then tear hear apart and refinish the wood I love that stuff hate the headaches but that is the good now look how good you feel now that you have accomplished this, now most other guns are easy D.I.Y. gunsmithing projects in the future. Keep on smithing the D.I.Y. is dieing off and we need to get all to try. and people like us will help anyone that needs it. Now give us a range report when you get a chance. :D