.357 mag case separation

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
ole single shooter

.357 mag case separation

Post by ole single shooter »

I had a case separate in the chamber of my R92. I had been shooting some .38s and switched to .357s without cleaning the chamber . :oops:
Back at the shop I tried the brushes and gobs of bronze wool on a tight bore mop. It seemed nothing would catch it. I ordered Cero Safe but it has been tracked to a postal hub near me and been there for 3 days. (Christmas glut I would imagine) .
Today I decided I would find a way. I found a 3/8" thread would try to start in a .357 mag case. I cut off a piece of the thread rod and used the Dremel cut off wheel to cut a slot across the end to act as a sort of cutting tool. I had no way to drive it with the bolt in so I cut two slots across the end to drive it with an angled screwdriver. It only took a 1/2 turn or so to get enough bite in the case to tap it out with a rod from the muzzle end . I hope my description isn't too crude to understand .

I stopped at our local reloading supply and picked up a chamber brush. I'm a bit concerned it is stainless steel (Pro-Shot) . I guess I should trust Pro-Shot's judgment but surprised the steel wouldn't scratch the chamber .
I'm thinking I'll get as short a 3/8" tap as I can find for the shooting bag in case this happens again. .
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: .357 mag case separation

Post by akuser47 »

I've found useing break cleaner and a brush removes most carbon rings easy. The best ive found here or elsewhere mothers mag polish. If you have a revolver with black cylinder burn on the face of the cylinder it will rub it off. The mothers mag polish is great stuff for stainless. I always do this to stainless wheel guns I sell so they look brand new. The mothers will help make it easy it really removes buildup. If you have break clean try it first. This is why i shot .38 special magnums i reload 38 loads in my 357 brass to not have carbon rings.Keep us posted.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Old worn out brass. I did it once in a 44 rossi.

http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic ... ated#p9785

Also, take note of what RD sez about hard crimping causing this.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
ole single shooter

Post by ole single shooter »

Factory new 357 mag brass is at the top of my shopping list.
I've never had this problem with the 45/70, 30-30, or .223 as I anneal after a few reloads . I also avoid the hottest loads . Thanks to all for the suggestions. Merry Christmas.
EDIT- I just ordered 200 new brass on Amazon +guns
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I want to add the mother mag polish. Will remove blueing. Use only on stainless or inside you chamber.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Do NOT use a Stainless brush in your guns unless you absolutely must.

They can and do scratch the heck out of things.

Slip 2000 carbon cutter seems to work well getting carbon residue out.
Lead build up can require additional effort either mechanical or using one of the electrical cleaning methods that works on reverse plating the lead and or copper out of the barrel.
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

Driving a soft lead slug down the bore will also remove a stubborn case separation.
Silas Longshot

Post by Silas Longshot »

Have yet to experience that misfortune with any flavor of .357 I run. I've heard, however, that case separations are 'more likely' on those odd brand name cases with the 'cannelure' about 1/3 down from the case mouth. For preventative measures, I'm culling out all that type brass from my current brass supply and if currently reloaded, dispose of them after shooting.