Spring on left feed rail.

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Spring on left feed rail.

Post by dpe.ahoy »

What is the secret to keeping the spring in place while trying to replace the left feed rail back into the receiver of a 92?!?!? :evil: We tryed every cuss word I know, none of em worked. An I know a bunch of em. :oops: If anyone has any tips, sure would like to hear em. Thanks. DP
Last edited by dpe.ahoy on 15 Jul 2012 08:42, edited 1 time in total.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Spring on left feed rail.

Post by akuser47 »

The left side cartrideg giude and spring can be tricky make sure you have it in correctly with the eyelet sticking up and its tail tucked into the cartridge stop. Gives this spring pressure so it workes correctly. Use long skinny/thin tweezers to hold spring in place on the left cartridge giude, and put it into place and use a finger to hold it down once you have it in place. Then you can add a screw to end it and be done make sure you have the screw ready and your driver because you will be one handed LoL magnetic driver is nice at this moment. Hope this helps I had trouble finding tweezers like I needed but had luck at walmart they had a few in the tool department.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by dpe.ahoy »

By the eyelet sticking up, do you mean having the tail tucked under the cartridge stop and the middle of the spring pressing against the bolt, not the side of the receiver? Thanks. DP
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

The eyelet should be sticking up away from the giude and the tail of it should be in a little notch in the cartridge stop useing tweezers to lower it in this way gives you the chance to use your other hands finger to hold it in place.
This will show you why it is like this for the correct tension on the cartridge stop. If you set up the spring like this push down on it in one hand and feel the tension on the cartridge stop you will see why it is like this. I don't have any pics or I would post them for you. I hope I haven't confused you let me know I will try to help.
Buck Bodine

Post by Buck Bodine »

AKuser47 is the man. Suffice to say that a gun vise (or home-engineered equivalent) and a gooseneck light helps a ton at this juncture.

BB
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I cannot take credit if it had not been for the Steve's dvd. I would have lost my mind on reassembly for this gun. Though I can figure out some guns no problem this one there is so little room to work with I didn't take a chance and ordered the dvd kit.
Jeff H
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Jeff H »

WIth the rifle lying on its left side, push the screw up through the screw hole to have a target for the eye in thr spring, use RIG as assembly grease to hold the spring in the guide rail GROOVE, . once I have slid the guide rail into the aproximate position (the spring holds it out of the groove), I can press the guide rail into the groove with my right index finger and wedge the rail into place. Then, it is easy to trun the rifle upright with my right hand (index finger still wedged) and start the screw with the appropriate bit from my Chapman set.

This usually works on the first attempt, but if your fingers are really short, really thick or both, this may not work for you.
Puddle-jumper
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Puddle-jumper »

I posted a link to this You-tube video earlier. Might help if you don't have Steve's DVD.

http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=222

____________________________-
Charles
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by dpe.ahoy »

Thanks for all the help guys! I'll check on the out come tomarrow, Jim took it home with him to work on. The 92 seems to be alot more compicated for a fumble fingered guy like me than the Marlin 1894. I'll let you know what happens. DP