Shimming Dovetail

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
aragornelessar86

Shimming Dovetail

Post by aragornelessar86 »

I'm working on installing my new Marbles Bullseye rear sight, and I'm looking for advice on shimming the new sight into the oversize Rossi dovetail. I have some .005, .010 and .015 shim stock, but was wondering if there were any tips or tricks from those of you who have already been down this road.

Thanks!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Shimming Dovetail

Post by akuser47 »

I've done it with copper and brass shim stock. Some have dabbed jb weld onto the base of the sight then you can file it until it fits. Me I like shimming nothing permanent.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Coop 45

Post by Coop 45 »

I had to shim my front sight when I changed it over Lyman globe. I just used beer can. I cut a strip that was as wide as the bottom of the dovetail but much longer than required. I then tapped in the sight so that the strip was sticking out both sides and then trimmed it back with a Stanley knife. So far it seems to be holding.
"Shoot straight you bastards, don't make a mess of it" Captain Harry "Breaker" Morant, last words to his firing squad.
92 45 Colt 20" stainless
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I forgot the beer can shim. Lol it will work just as good as any other shim stock as well.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
aragornelessar86

lol, shows you how a little common sense can go a long way, I never even thought about a beer can. Anyway, Coop45's method was what I was planning to use, so it sounds like I'm on the right track.

Thank you!
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

I don't remember .... how many thousandths difference between the light been cans and the regular? .... and for the non beer drinkers, how much difference between diet soft drinks and regular? :lol:

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Coop 45

Post by Coop 45 »

Non beer drinkers....... ? I don't understand. Does such a thing actually exist? Surely that's just an urban myth.

As long as your not using Fosters cans. That stuff is our joke on the rest of the world.
"Shoot straight you bastards, don't make a mess of it" Captain Harry "Breaker" Morant, last words to his firing squad.
92 45 Colt 20" stainless
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

Ahh Fosters, stirs the memories. That and 20/20 mad dog in my youth !
Gun Control Means Hitting The Target +guns
aragornelessar86

Coop 45 wrote:Non beer drinkers....... ? I don't understand. Does such a thing actually exist? Surely that's just an urban myth.

As long as your not using Fosters cans. That stuff is our joke on the rest of the world.
But it's Australian for beer!
Coop 45

Post by Coop 45 »

And if it was any good we would keep it for ourselves, rather than send it overseas.
92 45 Colt 20" stainless