Loading .357's issues

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
jdb

Re: Loading .357's issues

Post by jdb »

You've probably already checked it since it unfortunately sounds like taking it apart has replaced shooting it as your hobby. ;~)

But I was just wondering Spent, and I don't know if it would give ya the problem your talking about, but have you looked at the receiver end of the tube to make sure it's not rolled inward or burred or something that might be casing an occasional hitch as you load?

Also, have you tried taking out the tube spring and just dropping the follower down the tube to see how easily it moves in the tube? Again, may not actually cause the problem you are talking about, but stranger things have happened?
"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind." Thomas Jefferson
rman
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by rman »

I had the same problem with my .357. I did a lot of fiddling with the spring and loosening the screw that holds the loading gate. There seems to be just a tiny bit of play in my gate. After numerous tries, it started working better, but wasn't 100%. Now that I've shot 250-300 rounds through it, it works much more reliably. I use mine for competition, so I only load 5 at a time. It has worked perfectly for the last 2 matches.
At my age, there IS nothing better than shooting.
Spentcase

Post by Spentcase »

jdb wrote:You've probably already checked it since it unfortunately sounds like taking it apart has replaced shooting it as your hobby. ;~)
It sure seems that way. :)

I did lightly sand the mag tube mouth in the receiver previously. I'll check on the metal plug just in case.

Maybe it just need more breaking in. I've shot over 250 rounds in her, as well as worked the action at least 700 times, plus polished the internals. Maybe my rifle is just a slow learner. :lol:
“You can't have no idea how little I care.”

― Monte Walsh
Spentcase

Post by Spentcase »

Up to now I've put 125 rounds through her, and only had one jam. I think I finally pinpointed the problem. Me.

As I mentioned before, almost all jams were when I chambered the second round. I think It has to do with how I get the last round pushed in the loading gate. If I slip or don't push deep enough, I believe that the last round fails to push the one ahead of it into the tube. So the last round in comes up on the carrier fine with I cock it, but the round before it seems to be not in the tube all the way and engaged by the cartridge stop, so it comes out and gets the round ahead of it coming through on the next lever engagement jammed up against it. Hope that makes sense.

― Monte Walsh
Silas Longshot

Post by Silas Longshot »

As I posted when I started up with the group, my m92 24" octo-barrel .357 was near a complete rebuild from day one. https://survivingurbancrisis.wordpress.com/ In case it may be needed here, since this was a gun show purchase, and no warranty available, it seems.
Spentcase

Post by Spentcase »

Silas,

Thanks for the post and the link to your excellent troubleshooting tutorial. I've done some of the things you did, and see how I can do a few more to insure a consistent feed. If and when spring and summer decide to finally make an appearance up here again, I have to run some cartridges through her again to test out the mods.

― Monte Walsh