44mag recoil pad

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

44mag recoil pad

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

I should not have been surprised, but this has been an on going subject for years. Do a google search under this title and it will bring you back to here. One that stood out was in 2013, RD had some fine points as well as others. In reading others search for information in other forums as well, one gentleman's comments stands out. He said he has been looking for one for a R92 for ten years without any luck. Their are many suggestions but few tried and trued. Some comments lent themselves to desperation, as the fit was poor, but better then nothing. As far as the market place is concerned, you will not find a major manufacturer offering a fitted butt stock with crescent shape available, if ive missed it, let us know. The ones that looked hopful still required a flate surface to guarantee fit. CASS forums best suggestion was to purchase a spare stock, cut the end off square, then add as needed. BCrider and i a few weeks back discussed the add on of a leather butt cover. I had put this on the back burner, though at the time i was motivated to attempt it before now. Turns out, Hobby Looby is having a 30% off all leather products, so now is the time. I got enough leather to make two, along with a rotary hole punch, 25yrds of leather strip in 3mm width plus shipping for 45bucks. I haven't decieded on what i will use yet for the added cushion for the purpose to reduce the recoil, but ill let you know. Anyone with simular experience, or perhaps you found the perfect fit, dont be shy.
Something worth mentioning is this, i made a template of the butt and upon takeing good measurements, and comparing those to the specs of whats available in the market place , those that were listed as XS were still to large. So we are dealing with a special size as well as shape.
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: 44mag recoil pad

Post by Jaybm »

Something disturbed the beast so I had to take him out and check the perimeter.
Decided to check the site while I was up.
I'm sure there's a chill in the air where you're at as it is here and this thought
came to mind ... a shooting jacket with the built in shoulder pad like the
shot gunners use. Those competitive skeet shooters with their 12 ga boomers
can surely punish their shoulder after a days competition. A lightweight vest
might even be available.
Another thought and I haven't checked if this might be possible but ... shaping
a recoil pad to match the crescent, attach it with carpet tape ( double sided
sticky ) and then your custom made recoil pad or butt cover over that. MidWay USA,
Cabelas or Brownells might have something ?

Anyway just a couple of ideas ... now back to +zzz
Gun Control Means Hitting The Target +guns
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Thanks Jay, and your correct about the temps, it has dropped. Thermometer says 52 but feels a bit cooler, not sure of the humidity that plays such a big factor. The jacket idea has crossed my mind. When active, the range officers wore them and funny because i never saw them shoot, i guess they looked cool. (No pun intended). Glad you went back for a snooze, thats not working to good for me right now as i ponder what to do.

Had to add, now 49 (4am) and quite the bright white full moon, walked outside to hear the loudest owl ive ever incountered, listening i could hear a faint response in the distance, pretty night.
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Good morning. I pretty much have dropped my project to repad my R92s. I have not found one small enough. The candidates have all been premium pads, not going to go through all this trouble for something less, so they most be ordered in. When they don't fit, they have to be shipped back at your expense.
Michael
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Seems to me there is a market for it...sounds like a good side line to get into.
Dave M
--//--
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
Roberzilla

Post by Roberzilla »

Well, I had the same problem. The 92 carbine is very light, the butt is small, and .44 Mags are heavy, usually 240 gr. Using lighter 180 gr bullets in commercial loads does not seem to help; as, they are just higher velocity. Searching the internet, and my favorite local retailer, resulted in nothing in a butt pad that comes close to fitting an R92.
So, I made my own. I cut a pad from a 1/2" thick, high-density foam strip intended as a wrist pad for keyboards. It is uglier than Gwyneth Paltrow; so, I fastened it with double-stick tape to make it easily removable. I do not want to alter the traditional look of John Browning's masterpiece design. In fact, I seldom use the pad anymore.
The question is, "What do you do with your R92?" If you hunt wild boar, make the pad, and use high-velocity .44 mags. But, if you only stalk cardboard, at ranges commensurate with the rudimentary 1892 type sights, then consider changing ammunition.
For example, I use re-loads, 200 gr SNS polymer coated FP bullets over 8.9 gr of Unique powder. Out of a 20" barrel, it will have a muzzle velocity of approximately 1,300 fps, by my guesstimate. Hard cast bullets smoke, due to the necessary lube coating. But, Polymer coated bullets do not. You will need no butt pad for this load.
If you do not re-load, consider .44 Special ammo. Virtually all of it is outrageously priced, and uses lead bullets. No good. Worse, semi-wad cutters will likely give feeding problems. One commercial load works, but is about 100 fps (my guesstimate) slower than the Unique load above: PMC 180 gr, SJHP .44 Specials. These are the only jacketed .44 Specials I have found for less than an arm and a leg. They cost just a leg--but cheaper than .44 Magnums, fer sure. They are made, apparently, when all other orders are up-to-date--perhaps one run a year. Hard to find; but, from time to time, Cabela's has them.
Last suggestion, if you insist on pounding your shoulder with full power Magnums, consider a PAST recoil shield pad from Midway USA. Do not get the thickest ones--they are way too stiff.

~~Roberzilla
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Don't know if it has been tried but cheap n may just do the trick if you figure out how to attach it. Easy to cut durable. We use this stuff on concrete for security both at gates n such. Durable enough to walk on alot. So I think it could handle abuse on a buttstock if we can figure out how to attach it maybe simple 3M double side automotive tape.
http://m.lowes.com/pd/Mat-Common-4-x-4- ... in/3111467
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

I appreciate all of your comments, all of them good and Roberzilla your insite and suggestions quite thoughtful. Its funny how it always comes back to the use of powder to produce a more favorable result. I am reloading exclusivly for the 44. Cost of factory ammo is rediculous for the 44. I only made up my mind to purchase it if i could get cases at a,reasonable cost or free, hows that working out you ask? Bought my first new cases since i started loading, funny how that works out sometimes and then wouldnt ya know it, three days later i find someone with once fired cartridges, 500 for $50, so im set now. The leather arrived from hobby lobby. Ive started practicing my stitching, trying different patterns for strength and looks and then the all important tie off. I realize now as i prepare to make my pattern, i need to have the padding in place (this is where the double sided sticky tape comes in to play) for a proper fit. I am familiar with the pads that AK mentioned And believe that would be a good choice. The High density foam used for pipe insulation is also on my list of possibilities. The 3mm leather stripping is strong and lends itself easy to work with so once the pattern is correct i think the cutting and assembly will go well. Ive got a number of projects going on right now so this may take another week or so before complete but i will post pic then. Regarding bullet weight, im loading 240gr. Purchased a box of 500 so it wont take long once i get the pad on to run through them but will wait till then to mix it up with some 200gr. The bummer right now is the season opens up this saturday and i may still use the 44 without the pad , just thought i would have my ducks in a row by now.
Dave M
--//--
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
rman
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by rman »

We will be anxiously awaiting photos and a follow-up report. I'm not much of a craftsman, but it sounds like an interesting project.
At my age, there IS nothing better than shooting.
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

ImageImage

Well here is the start of something.....notice im making it in four cut parts, but i mean hey, anyone can do it with one piece......well we will see. We got some unexpected, to me anyway, tropical storm so it aloud me to play with this today....who knows maybe i will finish this one today. If it does work out pattern wise, i might make a second, but of one piece.
Dave M
--//--
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C