44mag recoil pad

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: 44mag recoil pad

Post by Moon Tree »

Tandy Leather make a couple rotary punches. The cheap one is just that. The $30 plus dollar is nice. The handle is solid stainless steel. It doesn't bend. I've even had to put the bottom handle on my bench and bounce all 200 pounds of me on the top handle to punch through very thick leather. The down side is I believe the punch bits are the same ones used in the cheap model. But, replacing them is less than $10.

A trick I learned from a knife maker who makes sheaths for his knives, is to use a drill press for sewing leather with waxed thread and a needle or sewing awl. I used this method for the couple of handgun holsters I've made. It works great. I use leather cement to glue the 2 pieces together, clamping of course. When the cement has dried, I score the leather with the points on my caliper to get the stitches spaced evenly. Then I take it to the drill press to drill the pilot holes.

This is the first holster I ever make. It's for my Bersa Thunder .22.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Very nice looking holster! How do you forum the outside?
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I like that moon tree nice work I'm curious as to what you used to form your leather as well.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

I'm not overly recoil tolerant - no more than the average guy I suspect - but I don't find my Model 92 to be painful to shoot even with hot Ruger Only 250gr and 300gr loads in .45 Colt.

The key is to move the curved butt plate out of the pocket of your shoulder about an inch and instead rest it against the extreme upper portion of your arm between shoulder joint and bicep.

It allows for a better fit with curved butt plate and allows a little more give as the carbine recoils.

Just sayin'...
The above has been copied from a previous thread, now closed but i wanted to share this statement and something i have just learned. Maybe the majority of you understood this already, but i was on my way back from an appt that took me to an area of the state i dont often frequent. Always on the search for powder, i stopped at some local gun shops along the way. One was in Ayden NC run by a fellow named Jerry. As we got talking, it turned out he was a great fan of the Rossi 92 and kept a 44 in his truck at all times. Part of the discussion led to the recoil pad i had made and he paused then said wait right here. He went to the back and brought out his grandfathers muzzle loader he said his grandfather carried in the cival war. It had a cresent butt, even more pronounced then the Rossi. He asked me to hold it as if to fire and realized there was no way to fire this that way but didnt dawn on me there was a different way to hold or place it. As the quote above mentioned "between shoulder joint and bicept", now makes sense. I had read this before but i kinda glassed over it. So this is what Jerry showed me, a new way to "shoulder" the rifle...who knew!!!, anyway i look forward on trying this new stance out on my next outing. P.s. To the story, he had a Puma 454, like new for sale
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
rich9347

Post by rich9347 »

Old West Leather Goods make pads from m92 pattern. www.westernholster.com. Well made and they fit all m92's. If interested check it out.