Cutting a barrel and crown with hand tools

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Centaur 1
Founding Member
Founding Member

Cutting a barrel and crown with hand tools

Post by Centaur 1 »

It's still a better idea to have a gunsmith cut down and/or recut the crown on a really nice rifle, and sometimes it's not worth the cost if you're just cutting down or fixing an old beater or truck gun. I put together a short tutorial on how to cut down and crown a barrel using nothing but hand tools.

If you have a large enough vise and a v-block, clamp the barrel using the v-block against one of the vise jaws and use it as a saw guide. Use a fine blade in the hacksaw, a 24 to 32 teeth per inch blade will work.

Another way to guide the saw blade while cutting the barrel is to use a small hose clamp as a guide.

After the barrel is cut, the hose clamp is used as a guide to file the end of the barrel square with the bore.

To cut the crown I used a tool that'll be familiar to anyone who reloads. This is a Lee case trimming tool, the pilot is the same one that's used to trim 30-30 cases to length. Lee sells a version of the cutter that has a wooden ball attached so you can apply pressure without your fingers cramping up. Since I already had an extra cutter, I drilled a 31/64" hole into an old golf ball, then pressed the cutter into the hole.

This picture shows how the pilot slides into the bore and it guides the cutter so that it cuts a crown that is square to the bore.

Here's what the muzzle looks like when you start cutting the crown.

While your cutting the crown, take time to file the end of the barrel. Between the hose clamp on the outside of the barrel and the crown being cut in the center, it's easy to file the end square.

When you're done filing the end of the barrel, use either emery cloth or wet or dry paper under your thumb to remove the filing marks.

Then once the end of the barrel is done being filed and sanded, use the Lee cutter to increase the depth of the recess. When you're happy with the depth of the crown, use a cold bluing solution or paste to finish the job.
"We have federal regulations and state laws that prohibit hunting ducks with more than three rounds. And yet it's legal to hunt humans with 15-round, 30-round, even 150-round magazines." Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-California)
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cutting a barrel and crown with hand tools

Post by Ranch Dog »

Outstanding! Thanks for thanking the time to present the material!
Michael
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Ditto to what Ranch Dog posted. Great job!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

In that my Savage 110 chambered in 300 Savage has a 24" barrel, this might be the ticket to reduce it to a bit more hunting friendly length!
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Good work
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
rman
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by rman »

That's pretty slick!
At my age, there IS nothing better than shooting.
justchecking

Post by justchecking »

Excellent! When/if I shorten my daughters Ruger American I'll do it this way. The crown you put on looks just like the factory crown for that rifle.
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

I thought your use of basic hand tools to achieve this is a testament of American ingenuity, well done.
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
se3388

Post by se3388 »

Very good looking job there, looks better than some factory jobs.

Steve..........
NRA Benefactor Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life member
USAF Veteran