Problems with Steve Gunz Ejector Spring

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Spentcase

Problems with Steve Gunz Ejector Spring

Post by Spentcase »

Just bought a Rossi 92 trapper last week.I've had it apart five times to clean and gingerly polish the parts. I feel pretty confident I have the process of getting the bolt in with a dummy round holding down the ejector just fine. In fact I find it easier to do than get the hammer and trigger parts together.

So I ordered Steve Gunz spring and magazine plug kit, and it came in today.

I spent over a hour trying to the get the lever assembly into the bolt that I installed the new spring in. I managed twice to do so, but the tension was so tight I could not work the lever to move the bolt back to eject the dummy round used to hold down the ejector. it was locked up tight. So I had to remove the pin to remove the lever to be able move the bolt out of the chamber.

So I put back the original ejector spring back in, everything went in smooth as butter. But again, when I tried again with Steve Gunz's spring, the bolt and lever just locked up. I can only gather that:

1. I was was sent the wrong or a defective spring.

2. The tension of the new spring is binding on the pin that lock the bolt and lever together.

If I am missing something, please let me know. Again, I know I have it down cold how to get the bolt in with tension on the original ejector spring--But somehow every time I do so with the new one, it is extremely difficult to get the lever hole to mate with bolt hole, and when I manage to do so, it binds after putting the pin in, and I cannot work the bolt with the lever. It's not the dummy round either,as it works fine with the original spring on the bolt.

Does the new spring really have so much tension that it is hard to put in?
“You can't have no idea how little I care.”

― Monte Walsh
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Problems with Steve Gunz Ejector Spring

Post by akuser47 »

I have steve's in mine no issue I'm lost on this hmm someone has to have an idea.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm using the Gun Slinger kits on my five rifles so I will need to sit back and watch this. Someone should be able to help you.

+corn
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Oh, where are my manners... Welcome to the forum!
Michael
Spentcase

Post by Spentcase »

Thanks! :)

One thing I notice is the spring I got from Steve is significantly longer than the original---Much longer than the one shown on his online catalog that lies next to the original and thicker Rossi spring. Wonder if It's ok to cut some coils off Steve's spring.?

When I put the dummy round on the bolt face to hold the ejector in place to put the bolt in, the new spring coils became compressed tightly together--this seems contrary to the goal of achieving less spring tension to avoid launching empty brass in to the next zip code address.

― Monte Walsh
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Sounds like you may have gotten one that was not trimmed correctly.
You might give Steve a call or drop him an e-mail tell him how long the part is, how many coils it is, and ask him for the correct length.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Yep call him he will get you sorted out I'm sure also welcome
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Spentcase wrote:Just bought a Rossi 92 trapper last week.

So I ordered Steve Gunz spring and magazine plug kit, and it came in today.

2. The tension of the new spring is binding on the pin that lock the bolt and lever together.

If I am missing something, please let me know. Again, I know I have it down cold how to get the bolt in with tension on the original ejector spring--But somehow every time I do so with the new one, it is extremely difficult to get the lever hole to mate with bolt hole, and when I manage to do so, it binds after putting the pin in, and I cannot work the bolt with the lever. It's not the dummy round either,as it works fine with the original spring on the bolt.

Does the new spring really have so much tension that it is hard to put in?
First welcome,
Wanted to share this that may help you. It cant hurt to contact SG for a measurement of length, but when you state the bolt and lever are locking up it makes me suspicious from my own experience of being caught off guard and looking for a reason in the wrong place. Remove the little grub screw then check function. If the lever and bolt move freely then you know where the binding is.
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
rman
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by rman »

NavyDoc76-80 wrote:First welcome, wanted to share this that may help you. It cant hurt to contact SG for a measurement of length, but when you state the bolt and lever are locking up it makes me suspicious from my own experience of being caught off guard and looking for a reason in the wrong place. Remove the little grub screw then check function. If the lever and bolt move freely then you know where the binding is.
Good advice Doc! My Gunslinger spring was also longer than the stock spring, but my grub screw was too long and when tightened down, caused the action to lock up. A little judicious shortening of the screw solved that problem. The ejector spring now works perfectly.
At my age, there IS nothing better than shooting.
Spentcase

Post by Spentcase »

Hmmm, thanks, but I pretty sure it's not the grub screw, because it was binding before I put the screw in.

I did call Steve--Super nice and helpful fellow, BTW---and he recommended I check the ejector hole itself to see if it was binding the spring, like maybe some burr is in there. He recommended assembling the bolt and lever outside the frame, and put the pin in then to see how it works first. So I'll try that first moment I get, and post back here.

Thanks again for everyone's support :)

― Monte Walsh