Problems with Steve Gunz Ejector Spring

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
AJMD429

Re: Problems with Steve Gunz Ejector Spring

Post by AJMD429 »

Uhmmmmm.........I almost created a new log-in so I could ask this anonymously, cuz I'm sure it's a dumb question, but...........

....What's a "Grub Screw..."????
Spentcase

Post by Spentcase »

It's the cover screw that covers the pin for the lever/bolt.

After 2 hours struggling with it, I give up with trying to install the spring. I sanded inside the ejector hole, and did find a tiny burr, and removed it. But no matter what I did, the lever just will not engage the bolt when I try to insert it with the replacement spring. Yet it goes in nice and easy with the original spring.

I don't think its a problem with the spring. Some tiny flaw in the bolt. But I don't want to spend any more time, or risk messing up the action. As long as its feeds and shoots, I can deal with flying spent cases.
“You can't have no idea how little I care.”

― Monte Walsh
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I was going to respond to the grub screw question but I've been beaten to it.
justchecking

Post by justchecking »

I have a Steve Gunz spring in mine. You sure you didn't get or mix up a hammer spring? I would send it back/swap it out to be sure. Having brass land within arms reach is sweet!
Spentcase

Post by Spentcase »

Definitely not a hammer spring. I'm going to stay with the original spring for now. Dissembling the rifle seven times in one week, fussing with it, and putting it back together again has just worn me out. At least the action is much, much slicker after the all sanding and polishing I did---plus working the lever over hundred times every night before bed.

At the gun show I went to this weekend, I handled 3 new Rossi Model 92's on a gun dealer's table. All of their actions were stiffer than a month-old corpse with rigor mortis.
“You can't have no idea how little I care.”

― Monte Walsh
boolitcastermaster

Post by boolitcastermaster »

Did the Steves Gunz kit thing with one of my 92s using the kit spring and did my own smoothing and polishing regimen with the other 92 and trimmed the factory springs.
They both cycle like a dream and to compare slickness between the two 92s - 6 of 1, 1/2 dozen of the other.
Those SG kits aren't cheap.
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

AJMD429,

It's a headless set screw, and they tend to look like a grub (worm). Mostly a UK term, as we in the US usually call them set screws. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Set_screw
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

spentcase,

I don't see how that spring could cause the action to lock up. Maybe, if it coil binds it could do so. I do not think it would hurt a thing to cut a couple of the coils off and give it a try as it is plenty long enough to waste a little of that length. But it would have to bind exactly at the fully depressed length of the ejector for you to be able to chamber a round with it installed.

Usually, what locks up the action, is the lever/bolt pin not being fully installed. But you are getting it to work with the factory spring, so I don't think that is the problem. My pins have been in and out so much that they are almost a finger tight install. I push em in with a long 4/40 bolt, then give it a solid tap with a hammer to be sure it bottoms out against the other side of the receiver.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70