Hey Doc !

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Hey Doc !

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Jaybm wrote:Yeah, read about you going for the big stuff ! You better get a shoulder pad !
Jim I've never walked away from a fight, but do you really think the recoil is that bad?
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

NavyDoc76-80 wrote:
Jaybm wrote:Yeah, read about you going for the big stuff ! You better get a shoulder pad !
Jim I've never walked away from a fight, but do you really think the recoil is that bad?

let's talk about it "in 7-10 days" :lol:

JD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

mr surveyor wrote:
NavyDoc76-80 wrote:

let's talk about it "in 7-10 days" :lol:

JD
I know.....Art Linkletter, LOL, hey, how bad could it be? Don't ever change JD
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

LOL. I'll go with JD, let's talk about it after your first range trip. +guns

You set up to hand load for this or will you be shooting factory loads ?

Jim
Gun Control Means Hitting The Target +guns
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

I will offer one suggestion.....

something like 6.5 to 7.0 gr of Trail Boss pushing a nice 240 gr cast bullet is a very nice way to start out with the combined .44 mag and crescent metal buttplate. There will be plenty of time to test your resolve with 40-50 rounds of magnum loads per sitting after the confidence boost from the TB loads ;)

JD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Jim,JD

This one is going to be 100% reloads! that's my intention. Cost is a big factor. When I looked at doing this, I looked at cost of ammo and I could see a day at the range costing 100 bucks every time with factory. So, I put out some feelers and got all the brass I'll need for a while and about three hundred bullets to start me off. Got 100, 240gr jacketed HP, and 100 ea. of 240 lead and 220 lead.
As far as my shoulder goes, I'm just going to have to suck it up. My powder choices are limited to IMR 4227.
Now I can load some with Pyrodex, and funny thing, a friend has been interested in our discussion with Pyrodex, so he brings me over some Blackhorn209, thought I might want to try. (Go fig-ya).... It lists for a .44mag round, under a 240gr bullet, 115% load density! now there is a new measurement.
Went out to do some de-priming tonight and discovered my new dies are not carbide. I'm slow enough reloading, I don't need another step lubeing the brass, so back they go for a carbide set. One last thing. UPS says it will be at the FFL on Monday, quick, so the new adventure begins sooner than later, thanks guys.
Dave M
--//--
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Doc

I don't think that the IMR 4227 will be a problem at all. The few rounds I loaded with it from my son's stash of powder seemed to be considerably less brutal than the A2400 and AA#9 loads I', more familiar with. For lighter loads, the Trail Boss and Unique do seem to fill the bill.

As for the lube issue, it's really no major problem and doesn't really take a whole lot of your time. When I absolutely have to lube pistol brass (which for me is necessary for 1 out of 4 or 5 of the 9mm - even with carbide dies), I use a mix of 1 part Lee Case Lube and 4-5 parts rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle .... put a batch of brass into a zip lock bag and give it 3-4 squirts of the spray, then close the bag and give them a good tumbling. They get a good, thin coating of lube and the alcohol evaporates pretty fast after you remove them from the bag. If you're "batch loading", you can run them all through the sizing die right out of the bag, or you can let them dry ... the thin lube coating stays.

JD
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I was given a pound of IMR 4227 a year or two ago.
Also a couple pounds of H110 in the old paper boxes that were designed to look like IMR metal cans.
That H110 is going to come in handy with the .30 Carbine reloading.
I've got most of a small keg of 2400 which has been my choice for .44 Mag left that will probably go into my next load session.
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

mr surveyor wrote:Doc

As for the lube issue, it's really no major problem and doesn't really take a whole lot of your time. When I absolutely have to lube pistol brass (which for me is necessary for 1 out of 4 or 5 of the 9mm - even with carbide dies), I use a mix of 1 part Lee Case Lube and 4-5 parts rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle .... put a batch of brass into a zip lock bag and give it 3-4 squirts of the spray, then close the bag and give them a good tumbling. They get a good, thin coating of lube and the alcohol evaporates pretty fast after you remove them from the bag. If you're "batch loading", you can run them all through the sizing die right out of the bag, or you can let them dry ... the thin lube coating stays.

JD

JD, what a crazy chain of events. Just now reading this makes me laugh at the domino effect of life and decisions sometimes. I love your idea, this clearly makes what I have useful with little effort, I could do this. Well early this morning when I went to resize the .44 cases is when I discovered they were not a carbide set. Not thinking long about it I looked at the return policy online and it stated they would send a call ticket, pay for shipping, etc. I thought, ok, no cost to me, I'll send it back. Went to a different site, found the carbide set on sale, with shipping I only had a difference of about 3 bucks. So now I'm thinking I did the right thing. I waited till 9am and call the company for a pickup/call ticket. The guy says " we'll refund the cost and you keep the dies", I had to ask him to repeat it three times! He said it was a non restock item. This is a RCBS three die set. SO, now I have a free die set I can use, using your method, and another coming my way I can return.....nuts, and thanks for your idea.
Dave M
--//--
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Doc

I'll also add that I use the same zip lock over and over .... after a while it will get a good coating of Lee Lube on the inside and a couple of good squirts will get it all going again. Just be sure they all get good and wet.

JD