Hey Doc !

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Hey Doc !

Post by Jaybm »

You making any headway on those ho-made followers ?

I made a couple spares ...
Spares.JPG
The wheel on my tubing cutter "walked" on the longer one.
Purchased a new one that fit but a little larger dia. I think
will do for .44 brass.

Need to try these before I start bragging ;) ... Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gun Control Means Hitting The Target +guns
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Hey Doc !

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Jim,
Sorry it took so long to reply,
First, I noticed you got the sweating down pat. Looks good. To answer your question, after you gave me the measurement I requested I assembled two of them but have not soldered them. It was not an immediate need, with the one I made functioning well in my .357. Don't know if you caught it on another thread but I'm gearing up to purchase a .44mag , 16" in SS. Hope to have much of what I need ready as well as the new follower per your design once arrived. Having now been through my first Rossi, I know what I can expect, know what I need to prepare for ahead of time and look forward to a new rebuild as needed. I like the name you gave it, "The 44/40", I think you could market it with that name, it would catch a lot of attention before anyone knew what they were looking at and then once you got their attention, BAM!, you just sold another one.
A little off subject. Buddy asked if I would make him some 38s&w cases out of 38sp. Using what I had, this would apply to cutting your brass as well, I chucked up a heavy duty cut off wheel from my dremel set in the drill press then carefully cut the cartridge to a near approximate length then finished it with the case trimmer. Much better then using a pipe cutter, but not as safe.
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

Yeah, read about you going for the big stuff ! You better get a shoulder pad !

Looking closer at these "spares" I may have to take the dremel to the head stamps
one more time. Dremel wheel in the drill press ? Hmm, don't think so, you haven't
seen my ho-made drill press !

I looked at a HP carbine in .40 caliber yesterday. G-son kept shaking his head NO
when I mentioned HP. Was surprised at the weight of that thing and I couldn't
find any fault other than that. LGS had them on sale "last week" for $250 plus change.
$369 yesterday, left w/o it. Would have made a good companion for my Bersa Pro.
Gun Control Means Hitting The Target +guns
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Hp carbines are very accurate reliable with factory mags. I would love one in .40 caliber for 250 ish.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

A little off subject. Buddy asked if I would make him some 38s&w cases out of 38sp. Using what I had, this would apply to cutting your brass as well, I chucked up a heavy duty cut off wheel from my dremel set in the drill press then carefully cut the cartridge to a near approximate length then finished it with the case trimmer. Much better then using a pipe cutter, but not as safe.
I thought I'd read that .38 S&W dimensions included a larger diameter than .38 Special thus .38 Special cases cut down run the risk of splitting when fired...

I dodged an Enfield in .38 S&W about six months to a year ago I could have gotten cheap because I didn't want to deal with the ammo. Nice solid little gun otherwise.

Some of the guns from the era when they were making both can be a challenge to figure the caliber on when they are only marked '.38'
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Archer,
Yeah well this is experimental at this point, don't know myself if this is going to work, glad it's not my guns but I will pass along your thoughts Archer, and thanks
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

According to the drawings the Special case is something like .007 thou smaller in diameter than the S&W.

I'd be looking for some Starline brass but they are not inexpensive and they are out of stock direct at the moment.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Several years ago I had a WWII vintage S&W that was "rechambered" by the factory to .38 S&W for delivery to the Brits to put into service. At the time, I bought it just for a snake shot gun for my "field work", but did carry 3 SS loads and 3 hard ball loads. The .38 spl brass (or aluminum SS rounds) rattled around pretty much in the oversized chambers. At least 1/3 of the .38 spl rounds I shot in it resulted in either split or deformed brass. But, I bought it for the purpose of popping shot shells and it did the job fine. After spending a year having to wipe it down almost daily to control the rust speckling, I sold it and moved on to the next snake shot revolver (whichever one that was)

There certainly is a diameter difference to deal with.

JD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

OK!!!! hold the press!,, I'd laugh if it wasn't taking up your time that I always appreciate. Turns out my friends request had nothing to do with replacing or using the 38's cut down for fit in a 38sw....
I didn't ask I just assumed. A friend says " hey can you" I said sure.
Turns out after talking with him tonight and sharing your concerns he went on to say that he isn't using them in a 38sw but a 38/357 revolver. Now I now your going huh?. He gave me the shells of the 38sw for length only. His intent as he has discovered, with competition shooting which he does a lot and up against semi-autos as he says to make it fair, is to carve a second or two off his reloading time. Said he felt he could drop his empties and speed load quicker. Communication is a wonderful thing, sorry I didn't no more sooner but hey, that's the story, if it changes....I'll keep it to myself ;)
Last edited by NavyDoc76-80 on 09 Sep 2014 23:25, edited 1 time in total.
Dave M
--//--
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Gosh, Doc .... just think about all the brain power you made us expend on what turns out to be a non-issue! I have to go to bed now and try to recover :lol:

Thanks for clearing that all up :D

JD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!