Hey Doc !

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Hey Doc !

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

JD, quick thought, how come nobody ever says to lubricant the die? Maybe just every once in a while for the the same effect....no?....yes?... I don't see why not, but hey....
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Doc

In a way, that's what I do with my Lee Carbide 9mm dies ... at least they are supposedly carbide. I didn't think they could make carbide dies for tapered cases, and even though it's a fairly slight taper, the 9mm is tapered. Anyway, what I've figured out to keep the sizing running smooth is to separate out about 1 out of every 5-6 pieces of 9mm brass I plan to size and put them into the case lube baggie. Then about every 5th or 6th piece of brass I run a lubed one through. I found if I try to size them dry, they're tougher than .44 mag brass. So, you could say that I am lubing the die I suppose.

JD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

LOL, Doc ... you must be living right !

Oh how I wish he had some Trial Boss to try in that .44mag.

My .357 Tite Group & BullsEye loads will bite but that Trial Boss
is so mild it's a real pleasure to shoot in comparison. Darn stuff
is impossible to find so I'm very conservative using it.
Gun Control Means Hitting The Target +guns
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I don't as a rule lubricate most handgun brass when using carbide dies.
IF you lubricate 1 in 5 or 1 in 10 cases it can make sizing a little easier with carbide dies.
9mm takes a little effort with carbide but it isn't that bad.

I have carbide rifle dies for 2.23, .308 and .30 Carbine. They all require the brass to be lubricated since the carbide is only about a 3/8 inch ring at the bottom of the die. I think Lee recommends lubricating every 4th or 5th case with .30 Carbine but it is almost easier for me to just do the batch. I have a buddy who didn't know that caliber needed lubrication even with carbide dies and has been shoving them through dry for years. I'd not waste money on the carbide dies for bottlenecked rifle cartridges but they came with a large batch of equipment I got from a coworker.

Carbide can be formed to complex shapes, as evidenced by various cutters, but in terms of dies I've only seen it used where the contact surface is more or less straight. I don't see any reason that couldn't include a slight taper, rings typically include an entry taper or radius at the base of the die. It would depend largely on how the rings were formed to begin with. Even .45 ACP has a slight taper. I recall reading years ago an article where Mike Dillon related that fact gave him some issues when he started reloading.

I'd be tempted to retain the carbide dies for .44 rather than deal with lubricating the brass and then removing the lubricant.

I prefer to use Hornady One Shot case lube for my rifle brass. It isn't supposed to contaminate powder or primers if any is still on the case when it gets reloaded. It doesn't tend to build up and cause hydraulic denting on the case and require cleaning the die periodically. It also works well for die prep and preservation. I don't know how well it would work in a every so often application for the .30 Carbine however.
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Jim, thought I would follow up ( no pun intended) with the original question. I originally thought that the followers where of the same size, so now that I know they are not and I don't have a way to make a home made one for the 44, I am forced to buy one ( kills me). But!, our designs are a sure thing in the 357. Still in the rebuild mode and refinishing mode. Have 4 or 5 days left on the refinishing and am waiting on the follower and safety plug (yeah, a bought one, I was in a "get er' done mood) before it's reassembly time and final finishing then the range I hope. I'm not pushing my expectations this time, but I do see 2 weeks max before a range report.
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C