Ejector Problems SOLVED

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Ejector Problems SOLVED

Post by donhuff »

On my 454, it seemed that the ejector was not cast properly and was thin on the top part. That part that sticks up toward the top of the bolt. It was actually thin (front to back of the rifle) over the entire part. Like maybe the mold was not preheated enough before they poured in the steel, and it did not form out completely. If I were the "non existing" Quality Control flunky on the assy line. And was taking a smoke and drinking a cup of coffee as this part came down the line. I think that I still would have been able to see that this part, was a REJECT!
I tried welding it up a little with my tig, but it is so small, and I am not that good, so it still was not right. And if you look back at this thread "454 has problems" you'll be able to see what this was doing to my brass. The face of the ejector that mates up with the brass head, and make up the face of the bolt. Was recessed to the point that with hotter loads, my brass was getting all mangled up by the bolt face. And with the 454, it not too hard to get a hotter load, heck, even some of the starting loads were messing up the brass.

And that little piece of the bolt face down at the 4-5:00 o'clock position, was doing the most damage. When the brass pushed back, and the ejector "retracted" into it's hole. Then this little spot stood up proud of the rest of the face. So it would push the rim forward in that spot. After 3-5 firings, it was almost impossible to get the brass into a shell holder. Now that I have replaced the ejector, It still leaves a light impression, but not enough to harm the brass. If you look through the post, you'll see that RD has this same thing happening, but to a lesser degree. Lucky dog must have gotten a better ejector than I did.

So your probably wondering where I got this replacement ejector, right? Numrich gun parts. It goes in a Browning B92. I took a chance and ordered one, hoping it would be the same, or at least close enough that I could make it work. The quality of this part was far superior to the rossi part. It too is cast, but oh so much smoother, ans it is stainless.....hard stainless. The two "wings" for lack of a better term, that stick down on the bottom, were way too long to the front. Since the 454 does not have the notches in the rear of the barrel for them to fit into. So I ground those down till they just fit back from the front of the bolt. (I recon this don't make much sense, but the pictures will explain it). Also, those wings were to thick, and I had to thin them a little. Non of this is precise work and can be done with a file.....if YOU have a sharp one. I didn't so most of this work was done with a sanding disc and dremel tool. The pin part was just a shade bigger OD but a small amount of filing, and it was perfect. The little collar was actually sitting square on it and not all whampyjawed and loose, like it was on the rossi part.

I shot a few of my last virgin brass with 34.0 H110 and my 265g SWC to get a reading on the case head, and the looked very good with just a small mark on them and no bent rims.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Ejector Problems SOLVED

Post by donhuff »

a mangled up case

the way they look now

and the bolt face with the B92 ejector.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by donhuff on 03 Sep 2014 17:17, edited 1 time in total.
Don Huff

16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
jdb

Post by jdb »

Cool Don. Great tip and ingenious. I wonder if the Browning 92 part would work for other calibers of the Rossi?
"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind." Thomas Jefferson
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

yep, Don, if you recall "grinding down the wings" was exactly what I had to do on my R92-44. My "wings" were so long that it required extra tension on the lever to close the bolt, and the square corners (top and bottom corners) made loading nearly impossible. I ended up taking about 25% of the length of the "wings" off, and filing/shaping smooth radius on both top and bottom. Funny thing to me is that seeing pictures of other's ejectors, you often don't even see the "wings" protruding from the ejector face. What's up with that?

As for the B92 ejector .... will it fit the .44 and .357 R92's (repeating jdb's question)?

JD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

jdb wrote:Cool Don. Great tip and ingenious. I wonder if the Browning 92 part would work for other calibers of the Rossi?

YES, it will fit as they are all the same cept for the bolt face opening for the rim diameter. This one was actually for a 357 cause that was the only one they had. But I was able to hold it in the vice, and open up the rime part with my milling machine. But you could do it with a dremel toll pretty easy.

BUT!!!! be warned that if you do this, it takes a good bit of work with a file to thin the wings. Or use a grinder or dremel. The fit of the wings is not critical at all.
Don Huff

16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Yep JD,

Two of mine have the protruding wings, and the other two do not. It depends on the caliber (I guess??).
I still can not figure out what the protruding wings do.

Yeah, it'll fit.............with enough work :lol:

Seems like I remember seeing a picture of some of your spent brass, and they looked like your ejector was recessed a little too. I did not say anything about it cause a lot of em look that way.
Don Huff

16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Good stuff
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!