R92 Gunslinger Spring Kit Improvement

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

R92 Gunslinger Spring Kit Improvement

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've had the Gunslinger Spring Kits installed on my five R92s for a year now and during my pre-hunting season maintenance, I wanted to do to put something between the aft end of the spring where the main spring rod passes through the receptacle in the lower tang.

What I used was an aluminum rivet washer. This was a 1/8" 4AWAS-HWI, the 1/8" is the diameter of the hole in the washer, drilled out to 11/64". The outside diameter was a perfect fit without and interference with the action of the rod.

The springs have provided a 1½ to 2# trigger pull across my five rifle and I'm trying to uniform them to 3#. Not sure if it is worth the trouble as it takes numerous teardown and assembly cycles. I bet I had to pull my 454 Casull apart 25 to 30 times. You can see that I've slid the spring trigger spring aft to stiffen it. I had thought about slowly filing the wire aft but decided to go this route first. I also discovered that tightening the butt stock down changes the pull a bit as well so you cannot fully test the trigger pull with the butt stock off.
Michael
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: R92 Gunslinger Spring Kit Improvement

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Rd,
I like the idea of creating a flat surface for the spring to compress on. For the trigger, have you thought about putting the original back in and shimming the spring steel? You know I'm new at all this but I sure can relate to disassembling and re-assembling on a single project to get it right. The shims I made were out of a soda pop can, cut slightly less then the width of the spring steel, and approx. one inch long. The thickness is approx. .010", I ended up using two to get it where I wanted it, but I'll be honest , due to not having a gauge, I don't know what it is, just know it feels right, though I am curious as to what it is. I need to go out and buy a luggage scale...who knew!
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I have done this before and once you find the correct amount of shim your good to go. I used a nut from my goobs of nuts bolts that was perfect on my dad's.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

NavyDoc76-80 wrote:For the trigger, have you thought about putting the original back in and shimming the spring steel?
No, I'm going to stick with the Gunslinger spring. I like the simple wire spring vs. the flat metal.
Michael
rman
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by rman »

Good idea - it looks like your rivet washer works good. I took my replacement spring out because it was causing some binding. I thought about using a washer too, but got lazy and just put the old spring back in. My action is still slick and smooth and I kind of like the heavy hammer fall - no worries about light hammer strikes. I can see why you would not want the extra light trigger pull because you use your rifles for hunting and I agree that wire springs are better than leaf springs. 3 lbs seems perfect to me for hunting. Because I use mine for competition only, I wanted a very light trigger. I actually bent my Gunslinger spring slightly to remove a little more tension. Mine now breaks at 1 to 1-1/4 pounds - perfect for it's intended use.
At my age, there IS nothing better than shooting.