Cracked forearm

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Rtbender

Cracked forearm

Post by Rtbender »

Well I'm back, my 24" octo Rossi 92 was been sitting for about 5 months gathering dust along with the Steve guns DVD and some new parts. Last night I decided its time to get her slicked and refinished. I remember reading a thread several months back where RD explained in detail how to refinish the shoe polish jungle wood. I can't seem to find that thread anymore, can someone link me to it please?

I did remember that hot water was the preferred method for getting the old finish off and so I took the rifle down and went to town. Once I had the forearm off I notice a hairline crack on the inside of the forearm on the thin piece of wood that runs between the barrel and the mag tube. As I was expecting after soaking to remove the finish the crack expanded a great deal. So much so that it won't fit back into the receiver or the metal collar thingy on the muzzle side of the forearm. Has anyone else had this problem. I am thinking about using wood glue and clamps to suck it back together but figured I'd get everyone else's opinion first. Should I use wood glue or something else, should I try to get a new forearm.?

It's been air drying for about 24 hours now, I'm guessing it will get worse before it gets better. I'm going to work on the Steve guns action modifications in the mean time.

Thanks for your input!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Cracked forearm

Post by akuser47 »

The mag tube crack is common no worries. Mine has no connection above the mag tube. If you soaked the wood it just needs time to dry so it will shrink. Use a closet and dehumidifier speeds it up. I will look to see if I can locate RD'S thread. Keep us posted.
I will link two threads that may be helpful
http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?t=469
http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?t=1587
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Michael
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

I just put my 92 back together today, after refinishing the stock. It had a hair line crack also. But my thinking was similar to AK's in I didn't think it would be an issue since the forearm fits snugly in the receiver on one end and by the barrel band on the other.

I sanded my stock and forearm to remove the "shoe polish". It needed the standing anyhow. I could never bring myself to use water to clean up raw wood, especially wood as porous as the one on my Rossi. But, since you have used water, just as a precaution, I'd put super glue in the crack and clamp it while it dries. That should prevent it from cracking further.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2675

After glueing and clamping with a good exterior wood glue, I would read the above thread for refinishing options to final sealants.
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C