SAFETY ELIMINATION

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
jdb

Re: SAFETY ELIMINATION

Post by jdb »

Yep, GREAT looking fix Jim. I was going to do the cut off the bits and bobs and use the old safety as a plug, but I think I may just do this instead now. VERY cool look!

And Jim is right. Epoxy does NOT like to bond in thin coats. So be sure not to over clamp it. As a matter of fact, here is a tip for any you guys who are going to do this.

Epoxy actually bonds BETTER if you mix a drop or two of something like paint into it as you mix it. It's even in their literature online. No one is sure exactly why, they just know that it's so. SO, I suggest getting some black paint and putting a drop of it into the epoxy as you mix it and use it that way. And from my own experience, it doesn't matter if it's enamel or latex. I usually use enamel though.

But you get the benefit of improved adhesion and better flexibility for impact resistance from the epoxy, PLUS the black color will help hide the glue seam between the patch and the receiver.

But just a note. When you add the paint, it slows down the hardening process by a couple minutes. The more you add to give it more color, the more it slows it down. It will seem like it's not setting, but trust me, it will. I do it all the time in knife making and it works great.

Give it a try. Experiment a little to get the color ya want. It works great on knives. ;~)
"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind." Thomas Jefferson
aragornelessar86

Post by aragornelessar86 »

That looks fantastic. I may have to try it on my stainless 92 and see if it looks as good.
JimR

Post by JimR »

jdb wrote:Yep, GREAT looking fix Jim. I was going to do the cut off the bits and bobs and use the old safety as a plug, but I think I may just do this instead now. VERY cool look!

And Jim is right. Epoxy does NOT like to bond in thin coats. So be sure not to over clamp it. As a matter of fact, here is a tip for any you guys who are going to do this.

Epoxy actually bonds BETTER if you mix a drop or two of something like paint into it as you mix it. It's even in their literature online. No one is sure exactly why, they just know that it's so. SO, I suggest getting some black paint and putting a drop of it into the epoxy as you mix it and use it that way. And from my own experience, it doesn't matter if it's enamel or latex. I usually use enamel though.

But you get the benefit of improved adhesion and better flexibility for impact resistance from the epoxy, PLUS the black color will help hide the glue seam between the patch and the receiver.

But just a note. When you add the paint, it slows down the hardening process by a couple minutes. The more you add to give it more color, the more it slows it down. It will seem like it's not setting, but trust me, it will. I do it all the time in knife making and it works great.

Give it a try. Experiment a little to get the color ya want. It works great on knives. ;~)
Thanks for the input, let me know how it turns out.
JimR
JimR

Post by JimR »

aragornelessar86 wrote:That looks fantastic. I may have to try it on my stainless 92 and see if it looks as good.
Send a pic.
JimR
aragornelessar86

Post by aragornelessar86 »

Absolutely will post a pic if/when I do it. Thanks for the great idea!