SAFETY ELIMINATION

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SAFETY ELIMINATION

Post by Ranch Dog »

NavyDoc76-80 wrote:I was telling Akuser47 some of this and mentioned I was never stationed with the regular Navy, but I did some time with the SeaBees in active reserves out of Lakehurst...
Don't hear many mention Lakehurst. Did a bunch of freefall work over Lakehurst with the US Army in 1973, they have one heck of a dropzone. Jumped out of Army & Navy fixed & rotary wing.
Michael
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

That is one heck of a nice job on the safety removal!!!! Outstanding... And Thank you for your service.
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Ranch Dog wrote:
NavyDoc76-80 wrote:I was telling Akuser47 some of this and mentioned I was never stationed with the regular Navy, but I did some time with the SeaBees in active reserves out of Lakehurst...
Don't hear many mention Lakehurst. Did a bunch of freefall work over Lakehurst with the US Army in 1973, they have one heck of a dropzone. Jumped out of Army & Navy fixed & rotary wing.
My hays off to ya Ranch Dog, a lot of history at Lackhurst.
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

That would be hats...
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

.....cheeze, can't spell tonight, that would be Lakehurst, better stop now before I muck it up some more....and ditto again on the job done by Chief and the safety elimination....
Dave M
--//--
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Sometimes the fingers just don't want to work!
Michael
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

That looks nice.

If you still have it, do you want to get rid of the old safety?
JimR

Post by JimR »

I still have it but I want to hang on to it just in case I need to send it in for warranty work. I can always put it back on so the factory will honor it.
rman
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by rman »

Great job JimR! That looks great.
At my age, there IS nothing better than shooting.
BCRider

Post by BCRider »

JimR wrote:I still have it but I want to hang on to it just in case I need to send it in for warranty work. I can always put it back on so the factory will honor it.
I was going to suggest that it would only be a little more work to remove the blueing from that portion and clean the inside of the cap and soft solder the cap on. But then I see this post and realize that it would be easier to pop off the cap when epoxied in place rather than unsolder and touch up the area. So given the possible need to return the gun your epoxy method rocks.

I just did two 92's where I removed and bagged the safeties. In my case I found that a 9/32 drill bit fit neatly in the hole. I cut off a length of it long enough to extend down just barely past the cross pin hole. The tang of the drill is soft and can be cut easily with a regular hacksaw. I dressed up and "lathed" the cut end by holding the piece in a hand drill and shaped a slight dome on the end with a smooth file and sandpaper. The relief for the retention pin was ground out with a cutting disc in a Dremel. Some cold blue finished it off.

This all worked out neatly and looks nice. But it's obviously still a plug in a hole. With some matching up to the sides and end your method could be done so neatly that it would look like it was never there at all.