tips on driving the front sight out

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

tips on driving the front sight out

Post by golfish »

Hey all,
I tried to drive the front sight out on my M92 44 carbine but I think I got one that Popeye installed. Any tips on punching these out? do you think heat will help or just a bigger hammer.
singleshotcajun

Re: tips on driving the front sight out

Post by singleshotcajun »

I suggest soaking it with Kroil then heating it with a hair dryer for a while then use a brass punch and a good hammer. I wish mine had been hard to drift out both the front and back sights were held in with hope.
We are told NOT TO judge Islam by the actions of a few lunatics. However we are encouraged TO judge ALL Gun Owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works.
NRA Lifer, TSRA, PSC Shooting Club
SHALOM Y'ALL In God we trust, Romans 8:28
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

Be sure to drive it out left to right (looking from butt to muzzle).
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

My personal experience ... tried a wood dowel and rubber mallet, beat that sucker seven ways to Sunday.
I should add this was a marbles sight that i had previously installed and all I wanted to do was move it a
shoshi bit to center it, left to right. Wouldn't budge, got a bigger hammer, no go !

Located a set of brass punches at a local auto parts store and purchased those. World of difference ! I
must have placed the punch perfectly as one wack with an even lighter hammer and the sight was OFF.
A whole lot easier putting it back on right to left and as close to center as I could get it.
Squared 02.JPG
If you aren't using a brass punch invest in one.

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gun Control Means Hitting The Target +guns
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

Jaybm wrote:My personal experience ... tried a wood dowel and rubber mallet, beat that sucker seven ways to Sunday.
I should add this was a marbles sight that i had previously installed and all I wanted to do was move it a
shoshi bit to center it, left to right. Wouldn't budge, got a bigger hammer, no go !

Located a set of brass punches at a local auto parts store and purchased those. World of difference ! I
must have placed the punch perfectly as one wack with an even lighter hammer and the sight was OFF.
A whole lot easier putting it back on right to left and as close to center as I could get it.
Squared 02.JPG
If you aren't using a brass punch invest in one.

Jim
Jim, that looks just like the replacement sight I have. I've been doing some arm curls but now I'm thinking I should go to the driving range and hit a few balls before I drive this sight out. I just wish Rossi would get their act together on the sight thing. I'm thinking I'll have a telephone pole sitting on the end of my barrel when I'm done....geezz!!! come on Rossi

On a side note, I did get some nice grouping at 50 yards last weekend, albeit they were 8" above the POA . its almost like Rossi expects people not to use magnum ammo in their magnum rifles +guns

BTW, I've got brass
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

I needed to do some barrel work on one of my AR's so I bought a set of vice blocks. Its amazing how the proper tool makes things so easy
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Def. true I had the upper reciever block and lower. I use to assemble ar15s and sell them. Even just did general upgrades and repairs for friends and family. Now that the cost of basic parts are so high I sold off majority of the tools. :(
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Maj Dad

Post by Maj Dad »

How good are the fits of Steve's Gunz front sights? I just ordered front and rear sights for my 20" round bbl R92, and I think they should be a relatively good match up. I also ordered some Loctite 271 - didn't feel like paying ~$25 for the bearing locker :o I have used plain old 242 threadlocker on pistol sights (1911s with front dovetails) with good results. I haven't tried to remove the sights yet, but I have heavy brass punches and heat sources... 8-)
Maj, USAF, ret.
Member, SCV
Life Member VFW, DAV, TSRA and MOAA
Benefactor Member, NRA
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Steves sights are standard spec dovetails. Rossi's are the issue out of spec dovetail cuts are usaully an issue with some shim stock easy to fix to tighten it up. Keep us posted
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Maj Dad

Post by Maj Dad »

Haven't installed them yet, but I got the sights from Steve on Friday or Saturday (didn't check the mail on Friday), ordered them on Tuesday - not bad! Updates as they occur!
Maj, USAF, ret.
Member, SCV
Life Member VFW, DAV, TSRA and MOAA
Benefactor Member, NRA