boresnakes?

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Quinc
Founding Member
Founding Member

boresnakes?

Post by Quinc »

Anyone use one on there 45-70? How is the fit? I have one in .22cal and its a nice tight fit. However, my 30 cal snake is worthless and loose on my mosin and sks, and my .45 pistol sucks on the 45 but works great on the .357.
"Everyone has a plan tell they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: boresnakes?

Post by akuser47 »

I doubt it will fit tightly enough to be effective. I have bought two different ones for my .357mag one fits tight one does not. I think they may have Q.C. issue or I just got unlucky. My .30 caliber for my .308 and my mosin seem to work ok. But nothing can compare to my bore giude and cleaning rod for my precision rig, to bad there is not a better snake out there outers makes one now called the viper I want to try it looks cheaper but who knows maybe it is better.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Quinc
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Quinc »

I am thinking that if the .410 boresnake is to small then maybe the 20ga boresnake would be just right?
"Everyone has a plan tell they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The only time I use them is while on hunting trips I carry them in my pack to run through the bore at the end of each day. If I clean a bore, it is a rod and patches for me.

I'm going to move this thread to the DIY Gunsmithing.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I agree In the field they are indespensible as a fast bore cleaning option compared to time involved in useing a rod in the field. as you stated ranch at home rod is best with proper bore giude to protect rifleing. I am curious about the new viper bore snakes by outers I need to read some reviews on them hope there are some soon.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

akuser47 wrote:I agree In the field they are indespensible as a fast bore cleaning option compared to time involved in useing a rod in the field. as you stated ranch at home rod is best with proper bore giude to protect rifleing. I am curious about the new viper bore snakes by outers I need to read some reviews on them hope there are some soon.
I think the Viper are what I have as they came in a case that looks like a viper's head. Honestly, I didn't notice any difference between them and the old ones.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I use the snakes for guns that I have to clean from the muzzle end until deposits build to a point that a more aggressive methodology is required.
Then I go to the cleaning rods with the protective guide in the muzzle of the gun to centralize the rod and protect the delicate crown from abrasion.
I clean the rod meticulously before I put it in any barrel.
Silica sand and grit in oil is an excellent grinding compound that wears out barrels quickly.
I've bought used guns that had barrels so full of lead and copper deposits that I had to use a variable speed/direction power drill to turn the rods to scrub the deposits out. Brushes with nylon bristles worked best. Always use a centralizer. Always use slow speed settings on the drill.
Some guys use electrolytic methods to remove heavy deposit build ups but I don't have the equipment for that.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA