Rio 30-30 Fail to fire

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rio 30-30 Fail to fire

Post by Ranch Dog »

In that it is handloads with the problem could it be an issue with them not being fully seated? First "click" seats them fully and the second "click" fires them?
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Next time it happens take a look at the first strike impression. If it looks like a normal strike RD's probably on the right track. If it's just a kiss then there maybe some head space situation going on. usually these problems will resolve themselves by checking and if necessary correcting one thing at a time. Good luck and keep us posted.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:Next time it happens take a look at the first strike impression. If it looks like a normal strike RD's probably on the right track. If it's just a kiss then there maybe some head space situation going on. usually these problems will resolve themselves by checking and if necessary correcting one thing at a time. Good luck and keep us posted.
Good point about checking the firing pin impression! Another thing I would do immediately, rather than over think this too much, is remove the bolt and flush it out. A complete tear down isn't really necessary and if you don't have a non-chlorinated parts cleaner, just use WD-40 as the flush. If the fluid is clear, I would blow it out with compressed air, spray a good gun oil through it, and then blow it out again to remove all the access oil.

I've been around the 336 action my whole life and it is not that uncommon to have a sticky firing pin if the rifle does not receive some kind of scheduled maintenance, especially if it is shot on a regular basis. Given the gunk a Rossi is shipped in, I think a lot of light primer strike issues with the Rio Grande are just this. The stuff inside that bolt has to be free to line up the segmented firing pin so that it can work properly against the available energy the hammer provides.
Michael
saddle butte bob

Post by saddle butte bob »

My rio 45 70 ,s hammer was hitting the safety in the off position in that flat section in the middle of the safety barrel. Just took the safety out removed about .005 off that flat and now the hammer comes into complete contact with the firing pin. Fires every time
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

My turn at it ....

I acquired a Rossi Rio Grande .45-70 a few years ago, then discovered this forum. I experienced periodic failures to fire like many of the posters on the Rio Grande forum. I sort of set this rifle aside as I hadn't the time to try and sort it out till recently.

I should disclose here that the Rio Grande .45-70 was my first experience at having a Marlin type design, and there are things with the action I am not particularly impressed with. I have more experience with Winchester levers, and, in comparison Winchesters seem a more reliable design. Downside of course is that scope mounting is not direct. I used my Rio Grande open sighted, so that's not relevant to me. I went with the Rio Grande, originally, because I could not either afford, or find, a suitable Miroku/Win. 1886.

So, after about three recent range sessions with the Rossi, I was now experiencing near constant failure to fire. I noticed that neither the firing pin tip nor the rear portion of the two piece firing pin was returning to rearward position. Accepted the likelihood the Rossi must be filthy in need of cleaning. I tore it down, removed the bolt and discovered I could not move the firing pin - it was stuck. I then removed the extractor, rear portion of firing pin and the front firing pin to clean and inspect. I noted that the slot in the forward portion of firing pin (part #21 in diagram) where the retaining pin (part #74 in attached diagram) fits was galling, presumably due to tight fit with the retaining pin. I refer to the attached diagram because I failed to take photographs while I was working on the rifle.

After three iterations with diamond file and stone, I removed just enough material from the retaining pin slot in the forward firing pin, so the firing pin would move back and forth freely, with the retaining pin installed. I reassembled the rifle and dry fired. Now each time the hammer would fall all the way to the bolt and that the firing pin would be retracted upon the bolt being levered to rear. In a day I will take it to the range to see how much difference this makes.

This may solve the problem with my particular rifle, and may be worth other's time in checking the operation of the firing pins in their own Rossi's. It's clear to me that final fitting and adjustment to these rifles at the factory could be a foreign concept to Taurus/Rossi (pun intended !)
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thanks for the detailed report, I suspect this did the trick!
Michael