hollow ground screwdrivers

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
twobitokie
Founding Member
Founding Member

hollow ground screwdrivers

Post by twobitokie »

Wally world has in sporting goods department a llittle red box filled with winchester gunsmith set screwdrivers. Hollow ground even for an easy $11.00. In my local store it was with the cleaning stuff, and swivels ect. Probably not the best in the industry but fine for the once in a while grip changer or stock remover. 29 different bits and extensions ect.

sorry mods, could not find a better place than here to post this.
Jeff H
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: hollow ground screwdrivers

Post by Jeff H »

Not a bad place to post that at all.
I have to use three or four different bits from my Chapman set to take my 92 apart and I had to tweak most of those to fit.

If, within that set of 29, there are ones that fit all the Rossi 92 screws, it would be worth putting those aside for strictly that purpose.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Here is the link to the Wally set: Winchester Screwdriver Set, 31 pieces

I have the B-Square set but these are half that price. I also have the Grace Tool Marlin set which works on all the Rossi screws. I think we need a DIY Gunsmithing forum so I need to work on that.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Junk screwdrivers.......experience is a dear teacher

Post by pricedo »

I have 40 years agglomeration of several kits & sets of screwdrivers & bits over the years from Brownells & various specialty stores that contains literally hundreds of different bits & attachments to put them on.

They're all good professional high quality sets made of real tool steel.

The junk dime store sets made of substandard materials & soft steels will save you a little upfront money at the cash register but will fail & break off sooner than later buggering whatever screw you happen to be tightening at the time & perhaps gouging or scratching the metal of a valuable firearm..........bin there....dun that & don't plan to revisit that unpleasant experience again.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Jeff H
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Jeff H »

I have a lot of cheap bits which I have not been able to break in twenty years' use. Not that all will stand up to that but I have twisted off #10 wood screws with them using a power driver and the bits show little more wear than some use marks. These would easily twist off a 6-48 screw without the minor deformation that warns me to take a different approach but are good for stubborn old screws last torqued by some European chap a hundred years ago.

Not all cheap bits are that strong, but I will choose fit over strength for routine maintenance or minor gunsmithing of firearms in good condition. Being cheap, they are nice for separating out for individual kits meant for a specific gun because I can have many of the same size and losing one in the field is not something to fret over.

Chapman warns you that their bits (which are not particularly cheap) will (may?) break before they break a screw, which is good in one way because I have deformed one or two before backing off and resorting to another day of a Kroil marinade or the judicious application of a little heat.

What happens as the jagged end of a broken bit skitters across a polished blued surface when the bit breaks in lieu of breaking the screw, may be cause for a liberal application of profanity. I have successully extracted broken screws, drills and taps from holes without having to reblue. Not sure I could do the same with the supposedly more attractive alternative.

Another advantage of cheap tools us that no one wants to steal them. :D
Warhawk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Warhawk »

Brownells sells screwdrivers sets or just the bits, that are specific to Marlin or Winchester lever guns. I'm sure there are screwdriver sets for other guns too.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=4178 ... RIVER-BITS
Jeff H
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Jeff H »

Warhawk wrote:Brownells sells screwdrivers sets or just the bits, that are specific to Marlin or Winchester lever guns.......
Those are pretty nice sets and you don't have to buy bits or a driver you don't need or already have or break up a set.

If I didn't have a bucket of assorted bits from over the years, I would be tempted to grab the Rossi set.
RossiRotten

Post by RossiRotten »

Thanks for the tip, I just ordered a set. Although I rarely bugger up a screw, these will be given the acid test by an old old mechanic.
Used Too Much When New