Hello from South of Brazil

Tell us a bit about yourself!
DLD_JTT

Hello from South of Brazil

Post by DLD_JTT »

Hello;

Good to be here.

Since I was child I had a contact with Rossi Pumas influenced by my father. Recently I ordered my second Puma, this time a 650 in 44 Magnum, now I'm waiting the course of the process (unfortunately the things around here are not quick and easy like in USA).

Some years ago I had a car accident and lose some hands movements but lever action rifles I can still shoot adequately and safely.

Regards
Last edited by DLD_JTT on 31 May 2018 07:46, edited 1 time in total.
"si vis pacem para bellum"
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Hello from South of Brazil

Post by akuser47 »

Welcome
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum! It will be great to hear what product models are available in your country and we would appreciate any news concerning Rossi. We have seen no leverguns imported to the US this year, many are wondering why?
Michael
DLD_JTT

Post by DLD_JTT »

Actually, I know few about the Rossi situation overall. Taurus bought Rossi and now the CBC (Magtech) is the majority owner of Taurus. As far as I know interacting with other shooters here Taurus maintained the Rossi quality in R92 models, about other models and types I can't tell because I have no information. My Puma has more than 25 years so it's 100% Amadeo Rossi and now my next Puma will be of Taurus era and I´m not noticing any difference in quality so far (except that I miss the sling attachment point). As far as I know the revolvers production was discontinued and only Taurus revolver are available what is a waste because here the Rossi had a great reputation about their revolvers and those that still for sale are the remnants and increasingly rare. Taurus dominated the revolver commerce around here.

Ok. Talking about the Pumas 92, because it’s the model that I know a little more and have more interest. The models disponible of Pumas here are little even though they are made in this region.

Our dumb legislation (you'll see why) divide the guns in two types: "permitted caliber" and "restricted caliber". The R92 permitted are only e in the .38 special and the 44wcf (44-40) calibers. A regular civilian after a lot of time, bureaucracy and costs and been older than 25 years old can purchase at maximum of 3 units (or less I think).

Pumas in the calibers .357 Magnum, .44 Magnum and 454 Casull are classified as restricted and only sportive shooters, hunters and collectors after a ridicules even worst bureaucracy, time and costs than what are required to permitted caliber could think of have one. Pumas in these calibers are more difficult to see here.

The .38 spl its by far the most common Puma caliber that you can find here.

Currently we have this few R92 options:

* .38 spl - Puma 175, 775 and 770. The .38 spl Pumas has more options of size, color and barrel format than any other. I have one black 16” (I had a firing pin problem recently, maybe I talk about it other time).

* 44-40 (44 Win) – Are a lot of models of Puma in this caliber except in stainless steel. There are even a Special Edition Puma 175 24" a pretty and really expensive model. As far as I know Pumas in this caliber are not been made any more, the units for sale are the remnants.

* 357 Magnum. - Puma 067. In 357 Mag the shortest barrel length is 20" and all models are in stainless steel, no black models available.

*45 Long Colt - Extremely rare around here, actually I never saw one even the ammo.

*44 Magnum - My choice but I was kind of frustrated with shortage of options that company dispose for internal market. I really wanted a 20" octagon barrel in color black but there’s only two options here: the 20" round barrel and 24" octagon barrel both in stainless steel only. There is no other option here, so I had to accept. Anyway, it's a terrific gun.

*.480 Ruger – Same thing of 45 L.C.

*454 Casull – The choice of this caliber has been growing among shooters and hunters here. Only models in this caliber offer a rubber butstock. There's no 16" option and all the models are in stainless steel only.

That’s what I know. Recently I discovered and get interested in Rossi Wizard. I have been researching about and maybe in the future I could get one in .308 Win.
Last edited by DLD_JTT on 01 Jun 2018 07:14, edited 1 time in total.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thank you for the details of the Rossi line in Brazil! It is really interesting to see what models are available and how they differ from those exported. The supply here in the US of new 2018 rifles is non-existent. Tough to say what the future is as Rossi has never had much to say to the US customer base. Only time will tell.

Where the Rio Grande models ever available in Brazil?

What game is hunted with a Rossi in Brazil?

Thanks again for the details you provide!
Michael
DLD_JTT

Post by DLD_JTT »

The gorgeous Rossi Rio Grande is made for external market only and I guess the reason. The calibers 30-30 and 45-70 are practically unknown here.

Our market of lever action rifles ends up been exclusively of Pumas R92 and old Winchesters 1873 (in 44 WCF) known as "papo amarelo" that means "yellow throat" due its bottom of receiver been yellow, my dad had one and that was a excellent and beautiful gun.

As I said the Rossi Rio Grande is made for external market especially USA. We ended up having to accept the shortage of availability. Our main, in fact the only, ammunition supplier, for example, does not provide us with these calibers (30-30 and 45-70) unlike the USA where these calibers are very popular. It's not impossible or forbidden to have the Rossi Rio Grande and the respectively munition here. The whole bureaucratic system doesnt forbid, worst, makes you to give up.

Quick contextual information: Brazil is going through a turbulent political moment. After three decades of leftist governments, where they destroyed the country economically and morally concomitantly the population has been systematically disarmed, by the first time are emerging among political scenario conservative voices. If this were not enough, besides disarming the people, frequently and increasingly we see cases where the State punishes who defends himself and protects the criminal. The hope of most of the people is that the order must be restored and one of the clamor is that the basic right of defense has to be established again.

Why I said that?

We hope that all these restrictions (internally and externally) to access of firearms really decrease in the next few years with a political/legislative support and so we can have more availability of guns models and ammo like the pretty Rossi Rio Grande for instance and its “strange” calibers and many others. Me and my people hope so!

About hunt and animal protection…

I’m not hunter, so I can say very little about and my source are some local hunters that I know.

Here as usual our legislation is unique. Its better run over and kill a person than an animal. A person you just pay a bail and you are liberated, a protected animal you rot in jail, I'm serious! That’s a lot of hypocrisy in our legislation.

Anyway, the people hunt a lot here, I don’t. People are dragged by law into illegality for simply hunting. The most common games here in my region (this country is big) are small-medium mammals like Agouti, Paca, Capybara, Cateto, Tapir, Armadillo. In other regions they use to hunt Alligator and Giant Otter. Innumerous species of birds are hunted here too. The dangerous game here are the Cougar Puma and Jaguar (Onça). All are protected and formally have no authorization to be hunted.

The guns more used here in the small games and birds are single shot shotguns. The calibers like 36ga, 32ga, 40ga, 28ga are the most common here. The shotguns here are predominantly Boito and CBC. The 22lr its another (I think even more than 38) common caliber used.

The hog, Javali, porco-do-mato (wild pig)

Currently the only specie legally allowed to be hunted are the hogs. But its not that easy to legally have a permission to hunt it, besides you be a “formally” hunter you need a couple of authorization to have the right.

The government authorized not for been nice with taxpayers who appreciate the sport but because it became a huge problem. Here the wild hog mixed with domestic pig and the result was a bigger and tougher beast, some with more than 200kg. The damage that it causes in some farms are huge so in this case the local hunter has a green light to go. I´m planning to hunt hogs legally with my new Rossi 44Mag because I don’t think my .38 is enough.

Rossi "carabinas" in all calibers, from 38 spl to 454 Casull, are largely used, as shotguns also, to hunt wild hogs here.

As I said I’m not a hunter and know very few about it so I cannot give more details, sorry.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thank you for the details of gun ownership and hunting! There are a lot of lessons to be learned in what you have written.
Michael