Hello from Canada

Tell us a bit about yourself!
Zant264

Hello from Canada

Post by Zant264 »

Hello all from Canada.

I am an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer by trade. 20 years experience and recently got laid off due to government budget cuts as I was working for an aerial forest fire suppression company. I now work as a contractor taking jobs when and where I can. Just finished a month at a former charter company I used to work for, and made far more money in that time then I ever have there before!

With some of that money I went and bought a Rossi Ranch Hand in 44 Mag. I had been looking at these for a while and was intrigued. My former boss at the said charter company had bought one, as had a sheet metal contractor that worked there as well.

Here in Canada we are not allowed to carry a handgun. This means also in the woods. As a matter of fact you cannot shoot a handgun in the woods or on your private land if you own land. It can only be at an approved range. Sucks I know but those are the rules.

I bought the RH to take to the woods with me when I go as I try to spend a lot of time there on days off. I enjoy camping, hiking, geocaching and so on. My AO is the eastern slopes of the Rockies. This means bears and cougars. I have been around firearms all my life and have always been looking for something light and easy to pack that was not a handgun as that is verboten here.

The RH is not considered a handgun here and is treated as a normal rifle! Yay! I can take it with me pretty much anywhere except the national parks where I must rely on a can of spray to save my life....

It is also my first lever gun. I am not so sure I like the big loop on it but it seems like I can change that out. I have not yet taken it apart but it looks easy to do after watching on Youtube.

44 Mag is a new caliber for me and I look forward to learning it and handloading for it. I used to handload for a 222 I had so I have some experience with that. Up here a cheap box of ammo for it is $47 for 50!! :shock:
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hello from Canada

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum and I enjoyed reading about your background and how you will be using the Ranch Hand. Yeah, you need to reload at that price!
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Welcome
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by zippy »

Howdy from South Carolina, and welcome to the forum.

It seems like the Ranch Hand concept was created with your situation in mind. If you poke around this forum, you'll see that some Rossi's have well known quirks that can be fixed, so don't despair if you have an issue.

Good luck with your new Rossi, and with your employment situation. At least it gives you some time to get acquainted with your new lever gun.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Welcome,
Reloading is the only way to go for the .44 Mag.
I've probably reloaded 3K rounds for it and only purchased factory ammo when I just didn't have the time to reload at all and was making enough money that $22 / 50 rounds seemed almost reasonable. At today's prices reasonable is no longer the case.
MoMan

Post by MoMan »

Welcome to the site. You are going t love that Rossi. There is just s0mething abut a lever gun that unleashes our inner cowboy in all of us.
MO

Member: Kentucky Regulators G.C./LaSalle Sportsmen's Club/NRA