Hello from Monroe Ohio

Tell us a bit about yourself!
Deleted User 4000

Hello from Monroe Ohio

Post by Deleted User 4000 »

Found this forum and thought it looked like a good place to learn more about the Rossi from those that like and know the rifle. I am a NRA life member, enjoy hunting and target shooting. I am a USAF Veteran, Air Weather Service Equipment Repair, 1963 to 1967.

Been looking for a Rossi R92-51203 to go with my S&W 586 for Hog hunting. At this point in time I wonder if Rossi is still going to produce this model. I have contacted Rossi USA and cannot get a straight answer from them as to an approximate date when it will be available again or if it is in production or when it will be. I might go for a round barrel if I was sure the octagon would no longer be made.

Looking forward to meeting and chatting with you all.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hello from Monroe Ohio

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service.

Kind of hard to know what Rossi is up to these days as far as the various models go. Of course a hog will not be able to tell which barrel whacked him!
Michael
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by zippy »

Howdy from South Carolina, and welcome to the forum.

I did a quick search of my usual places, and didn't find that one. You might want to call Steve's Gunz to see if he has one.

http://store.stevesgunz.com/index.php?m ... ucts_id=10
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Welcome, and thank you sir for your service. Glad to see more Buckeyes sprouting in this forum.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Welcome from just up the road in Dayton.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Welcome,
Good luck with the Octagonal. That's a pretty one but a couple lbs over the 20" round barrel.
I always thought I wanted to go that route and I've got the SS .44 24" Oct and I'm quite happy with it but find the 20" RB to be much more handy in both the .44 Mag and the .357/.38. The 20" Octagonal might split the difference.

I MIGHT pick up a .357 Octagonal but at the moment, even though I've already got the 20" blue RB in that caliber I'd probably go for the 20" RB SS as my next choice.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Welcome!

The octagonal barrel does limit your optics options.

What's your bullet preference for feral hogs? I'm partial to a soft nose, but I've heard good arguments for semi-wadcutters and hollow points.
Deleted User 4000

Post by Deleted User 4000 »

Thanks to all for the welcome. Ran across a 24" octagon Blue frame Taurus/Rossi model R92-5100' Too nice to pass up. Haven't been able to shoot it yet but the more I handle it the more I like it. Just might have to own two, one blue 24" for open country long shots and one Casehardened 20" for close work.
I have even entertained the Idea of taking the Casehardened 20" to a good gun smith when I get it and having the barrel cut to 18" If anyone knows of a gun smith able to do that type work within a couple hours of Cincinnati, please let me know.

I haven't hunted them yet (want to go when it cools down this fall) but My preference for a hog load is the 180 Grain Swift A-Frame slug (Federal Vital-Shok Swift A-Frame .357 Mag 180 Grain for a factory load). In the 80's I hand loaded 180 gr. soft points for bowling pin matches using my S&W 6" 686. If I did my part correctly it did it's part.

Ohio3Wheels, We will have to meet for coffee some time. It will have to be July or later as I am tied up for the month of June.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

TheKeeper wrote: Ohio3Wheels, We will have to meet for coffee some time. It will have to be July or later as I am tied up for the month of June.
Sounds like a possibility and I might just be out from under all the non-shooting stuff by late July. Commitment to dog club events keep my schedule full June and July. Still sneak out to the range now and then.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image