intro

Tell us a bit about yourself!
sheepherder

intro

Post by sheepherder »

Joined the forum the other day.

Looking forward to learning more about .45lc and the R92.

I picked sheepherder as a handle as I spent many years teaching graduate students and medical students. Not as bad as pushing rope but close.

Have a few lever guns, Henry Golden Boy in 22M, Marlin 336 in 30-30. Now a SS Rossi R92. Am putting a Skinner peep sight on it and looking forward to shooting my own loads.

Not sure what I like better shotguns, pistols, revolvers, or rifles.

Started out gunning with shotguns as I am an avid bird hunter. Been in Veterinary Medical Science for 32 yrs - can't get enough of those birds dogs in the field. Currently I have a black lab, a Pudelpointer (black) and a Deutsch Drahthaar.

Live in the state of live freeze then die and work at Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth (not for much longer). I don't think anyone belong to any of the chat boards I do.

Sheepherder

PS If anyone has a good load for the Rossi R92 and that works well in a Ruger Redhawk, both in .45lc, I'd love to hear about it. Currently I have True Blue and Trail Boss powder and some 250 g FNRP Oregon Trail bullets to load.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: intro

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

First welcome aboard. As to the 45 Colt I have a '92 and a convertible Black Hawk in that wonderful caliber. I'm guessing anything the BH can handle the RH should also. Unfortunately my loading notes have walked off so I can site exact loads right now. I use Trail Boss when I want something reasonably mild to shoot in either gun usually with a 250/255 grain cast. As best I can recall I've not tried True Blue in the 45C but have used it in the 45 ACP, the 357 Sig and the 380 ACP and like it in those. Lyman 49 does list True Blue with a number of cast loads I just prefer a powder that fills the case a little more.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by zippy »

Howdy from South Carolina, and welcome to the forum.

... live freeze then die... Very funny, but that's a tough rap for such a beautiful state. Hubby and I used to cruise the mountains there on motorcycles when we worked in Boston in 1981-83, and loved it.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Welcome from the west coast commune of Kalifornia.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Welcome
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum! Interesting career, herding cats would have been easier.

Trail Boss is pretty easy to figure, kind of depends on the seating depth, cartridge overall length. I love Hodgdon's instructions, they go something like this:
  • Make a dummy cartridge.
  • Using a bullet, align and mark the base of that bullet against the dummy cartridge.
  • Fill your cases with Trail Boss to that level.
Here are their instructions: http://ranchdogoutdoors.com/data/Trail-Boss-data.pdf
Michael