Hello from Florida!

Tell us a bit about yourself!
JohnR

Hello from Florida!

Post by JohnR »

Greetings from North Florida! My 20" .357 M92 should arrive in the next couple days. The ones in the LGS seemed pretty gooey inside, is there anything specific to the Rossi I should do before taking it to the range? If it's packing grease I'll clean it out and lube it, but other than that, is there anything to look for?
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Hello from Florida!

Post by zippy »

Howdy from South Carolina, and welcome to the forum.

After searching for the 92 configuration I wanted for a long time, I was impatient when I received mine at my FFL/gun club. The action was good enough and I just swabbed the barrel and wiped the lifter right at the range, and commenced shooting. Other than the stiff loading gate, it was very shootable right out of the box.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Best advice is to pull the butt stock open the action and flush with non-chlorinated brake cleaner until it runs clear, clean barrel and magazine tube. Then run it and enjoy. Not what I did, like Zippy, I wanted to shoot so a get wipe down one dry patch through the barrel and made smoke. Later it got thoroughly cleaned. Mine has worked fine since right out of the box - 45 Colt 20" Octagon barrel.

Welcome to the fun house.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Greetings and welcome to the forum!
Michael
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Welcome,
Lots of initial cleaning and inspection advice on the forum.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

I second the non-chlorinated brake cleaner flush. Or not! Enjoy, and welcome aboard!

If you do use the brake cleaner flush, follow up with liberal lubrication. An aerosol of your choice, allowing to drain overnight, works well.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

HarryAlonzo wrote:I second the non-chlorinated brake cleaner flush. Or not! Enjoy, and welcome aboard!

If you do use the brake cleaner flush, follow up with liberal lubrication. An aerosol of your choice, allowing to drain overnight, works well.
Ballistol seems to get the nod among aerosols. I have a great aversion to putting WD40 on firearms.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Welcome, I also am not a fan of grandpas wd40. ballistol is great stuff.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Picked it up today, took it home, and sprayed the remainder of my can of brake cleaner in it. I've never seen so much brown gunk drain out of a gun. But it's clean and lubed, ready to "make smoke."

It feels good and solid, and well balanced. I think I'm really going to like this rifle!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Now shoot her lots or watch a good cowboy flick and sit and cycle and decock her 500 times helps marry the bearing surfaces and helps slick it up the gun some. Plus it's fun when watching a good cowboy flick. No ammo near you if doing the cycle flick break in. Keep us posted in the 92 section to your first range trip. +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!