Montana checking in!

Tell us a bit about yourself!
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Montana checking in!

Post by dpe.ahoy »

I see a lot of familiar names already and just found the site yesterday! Thanks to RD for guiding me over here! Although I own a bit of everything when it comes to firearms, I relly like the lever actions at this time of my life. I currently own six Rossi 92's, 20" blue 454, 16" stainless 454, 20" blue pre-safety 44 mag., 16" blue 357 mag., 20" blue 357 mag with Burris 2.75 scout scope and peep sight replacing the safety and a 24" Oct. barreled 357 mag. The little 16" 357 is the most recent addition and hasn't been out to dance much yet. She's trying to be a wall flower, doesn't want to feed the rounds very well yet. I'll have to check into getting her more comfortable with schuckin' and jivin'. She is the only one that isn't smooth from the start. I really like the light weight and balance of the 92's, the 20" barrels are very well balanced, the 16" ones are so quick to point and the 24" hangs on target like one of my long barreled muzzlestuffers. Haven't had the fortune to play with any other Rossi models, yet! After reading Ranch Dogs write-ups, that may have to change on the Rio Grande. Gonna have to add another 8-10 hours to my day to have enough time to read everything here and stay up on Marlin Owners and Graybeard Outdoors! :lol: DP
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Montana checking in!

Post by Ranch Dog »

Greetings DP, glad to see you here. Very impressive lineup of '92s! I'm very pleased with the four I own, I am going to throat the RG4570 a bit deeper but other than that, I really like the rifles. I would like to add a 357 Mag from the LSI Puma lineup, will give me the complete set of rifles they offer with these stocks. I'm also negotiating on a Taurus Thunderbolt. Just thought it would be a interesting rifle to mess with and the price we have settled on doesn't compromise my ability to turn it if I decide to part with it.
Michael
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by dpe.ahoy »

The Thunderbolts are an interesting rifle. Never handled one much, yet. I'm afraid my "accquiring" days are slowing down for a while, my position was eliminated after 16+ years, so starting over at the age of 59 may not be as smooth as I would like. Not a big problem as I still have several still in the box and some rifles I haven't fired for 2-3 years. Guess I'll have plenty to get tuned in. Thanks for getting this site up and running Michael, I think these Rossi's are a very good product, if a bit rough on a few of them. I had a Rio Grand in my hands about an hour ago, only thing that was not the best was the bottom tang stood a bit proud of the wood, leaving a sharp edge on the end. I was impressed at the weight of it, lighter than the 336 for sure. I will follow your trip with the JES 38-55 closely, that is another cartridge that is under estimated IMHO. I have a 38-55 CB, M-375, Ruger #3 in 375 and 2 H&R 38-55's. DP PS: Did your dad ever get the urge to visit Montana again? DP
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

dpe.ahoy wrote:PS: Did your dad ever get the urge to visit Montana again? DP
No, I really doubt that he will ever return at this point. Pretty set in his ways. Really sorry hearing about your employment, best of luck!
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Nice stable of 92s you got there Montana.
I have 3 x 92s from the LSI Rossi Puma era that I've invested too much elbow grease & TLC in to ever want to sell.
I challenge Oliver Winchester's ghost to show me anything he made in the past that is as slick, strong and accurate as my 3 92s.

They were all created using my Rossi in the Rough Recipe:
1 hand picked NIB Rossi 92
1 power drill with a fine grained grinding-stone bit attachment
1 3 sided file
1 square of fine emery paper
1 pint of dechlorinated brake parts cleaner
1 can Remoil
1 pail
1 Steves Gunz DVD tune up kit for Rossi 92s
1 tooth brush for scrubbing parts
1 cleaning rod with nylon brushes & patches
a generous measure of elbow grease
a sprinkling of patience
a few mumbled cuss words
100 "dry" action cycles

After the stripping, cleaning, grinding, polishing, tuning, lubing & reassembly the finished product is one of the finest rifles you have ever held in your hands made even more valuable by the fact that you have a little of your time, skill & sweat invested in it.......a rifle you have earned the right to be proud of.

And an additional bonus is that you sure learn a lot in the process........you are a more skilful & self confident person. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Welcome.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by dpe.ahoy »

Yep, I need to order the DVD from Steves Gunz, hope he's not out of em. I've got 10 thumbs :oops: , but with something to guide me, I should be able to do it. :lol: DP
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

dpe.ahoy wrote:Yep, I need to order the DVD from Steves Gunz, hope he's not out of em. I've got 10 thumbs :oops: , but with something to guide me, I should be able to do it. :lol: DP
The DVD is well worth the investment. I usually poke around until I break something, this will end all of that.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

dpe.ahoy wrote:Yep, I need to order the DVD from Steves Gunz, hope he's not out of em. I've got 10 thumbs :oops: , but with something to guide me, I should be able to do it. :lol: DP
Join the club......2 left hands.....all thumbs........that's me too. :mrgreen:
You'll surprise yourself at what you can do.
The way Steve Young explains stuff while he is actually performing the work on the Rossi 92 in the DVD a 6 year old kid could understand and follow along on his own gun.
Trick is to take your time & don't get frustrated cause that's when you'll make mistakes.
If you're getting frustrated take a break or leave off till tomorrow.
If you run into a problem be patient & think it out.
Common sense will get you through most difficulties
Don't be ashamed to ask a more knowledgeable person for help & there's always the internet, the best reference source in the world.
You'll do it.
If I could tune up a Rossi 92 ......anybody can. :D
Every time you succeed you'll be more skillful & confident the next time around.
Messing with these "diamonds in the rough" Rossis has doubled, tripled and quadrupled my self confidence & I have 3 fine 92 leverguns to show for it.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Barry in IN
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Barry in IN »

Welcome to MT!