Hi from Alaska

Tell us a bit about yourself!
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Hi from Alaska

Post by Arktikos »

Howdy everyone, just discovered this site while surfing through topics on Marlin Owners where I am known as eaglesnest. I have lived in Alaska all my life (57 years and counting) and I am a retired electrician. I have just in the past couple years started buying a few guns again and my main interests are lever action rifles and single action handguns. Big fan of the 45 Colt and 45/70 and have Marlins in both calibers. I am still wanting some more lever action guns but have pretty much given up on Marlin, with the new ones being the way they are and the used market going out of my grasp price wise I am starting to look elsewhere and am liking what I have been hearing about Rossi. I would sure like it if Rossi came out with a 1895 CB clone! I have my doubts Marlin will even offer that anymore. I already have a 1895 GS so am not really looking for a guide gun again.. I think I am mostly interested in the M92 at this point. That 24" .357 I was reading about seems like something I would love as well as the 45 Colt Trapper..
Also want to thank Ranch Dog for starting this forum!
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Hi from Alaska

Post by pricedo »

Arktikos wrote:Howdy everyone, just discovered this site while surfing through topics on Marlin Owners where I am known as eaglesnest. I have lived in Alaska all my life (57 years and counting) and I am a retired electrician. I have just in the past couple years started buying a few guns again and my main interests are lever action rifles and single action handguns. Big fan of the 45 Colt and 45/70 and have Marlins in both calibers. I am still wanting some more lever action guns but have pretty much given up on Marlin, with the new ones being the way they are and the used market going out of my grasp price wise I am starting to look elsewhere and am liking what I have been hearing about Rossi. I would sure like it if Rossi came out with a 1895 CB clone! I have my doubts Marlin will even offer that anymore. I already have a 1895 GS so am not really looking for a guide gun again.. I think I am mostly interested in the M92 at this point. That 24" .357 I was reading about seems like something I would love as well as the 45 Colt Trapper..
Also want to thank Ranch Dog for starting this forum!
My J.M. Marlin (pre Remlin) 336 in .35 Remington is smooth.

My Rossi Rio Grande is smoother & more accurate.

The RGs are good rifles.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

pricedo wrote:

The RGs are good rifles.
Looking forward to handling one for myself at some point.. My Marlins are both smooth and reliable too, but the 1894's are hard to find here and I am ready for something different anyhow.. Not that excited about the Henry center fire rifles but really like the look of the Rossi..
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Arktikos wrote:
pricedo wrote:

The RGs are good rifles.
Looking forward to handling one for myself at some point.. My Marlins are both smooth and reliable too, but the 1894's are hard to find here and I am ready for something different anyhow.. Not that excited about the Henry center fire rifles but really like the look of the Rossi..
If you're looking for a gun that is expensive & heavy enough to pull double duty as a boat anchor then buy a Henry..........otherwise go with the Rossi...........with a little "sweat investment" in regards to cleaning, burr filing, stoning, polishing, lubing & dry cycling they can become extremely smooth & accurate.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Arktikos wrote:Also want to thank Ranch Dog for starting this forum!
You're welcome! I just needed a place where I could hear the facts about these rifles without all the interfering static. I'm glad I started the forum as well.
Arktikos wrote:I think I am mostly interested in the M92 at this point. That 24" .357 I was reading about seems like something I would love as well as the 45 Colt Trapper..
I think a little 16" barreled R92 chambered in 45 Colt, blued or stainless, has Alaska written all over it! Something like this...

Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

welcome
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Arktikos wrote:Also want to thank Ranch Dog for starting this forum!
You're welcome! I just needed a place where I could hear the facts about these rifles without all the interfering static. I'm glad I started the forum as well.

I think a little 16" barreled R92 chambered in 45 Colt, blued or stainless, has Alaska written all over it! Something like this...

Oh yeah!! We have a lot of bears here and while I don't hunt them (don't care much for bear meat) I do spend a fair bit of time in their territory, going in the boat, hiking, and berry picking etc. I mostly carry the 45/70, but sometimes it is a little much and those times I just carry my 45 Colt BH on my chest under my coat. A little trapper like this in 45 Colt, that would be lighter and maybe a bit quicker and handier might serve me well for those days when I don't pack the guide gun but feel a little under gunned with just a revolver.. The .357 desire I have is just for the fun of it! I am really enjoying learning how to hand load and it would give me another more economical cartridge to develop loads for. I have been seeing the Marlins in .357 getting scarce and I am seeing it is probably time to try a new Rossi out.. I am getting excited about the prospect of bringing home a new levergun, especially one that I can order and be reasonably sure it will be of decent quality and work without multiple trips back to the factory.. :mrgreen:
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

pricedo wrote:
Arktikos wrote:
pricedo wrote:

The RGs are good rifles.
If you're looking for a gun that is expensive & heavy enough to pull double duty as a boat anchor then buy a Henry..........otherwise go with the Rossi...........with a little "sweat investment" in regards to cleaning, burr filing, stoning, polishing, lubing & dry cycling they can become extremely smooth & accurate.
There has been a Henry in 44 mag here at Walmart for a long time now, and I have looked it over enough to know I don't want it. I forget what the asking price is, but I think it was over 700 bucks, and it weighs a ton! I also do not care for it not having a load gate, and really don't care for the solid brass receiver. I am not saying it isn't a good gun quality wise, and I own a Henry 22 which I like very much, but that is probably the only one of their guns I would buy..