Greetings Members!

Tell us a bit about yourself!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Greetings Members!

Post by Ranch Dog »

Many of you know me from various levergun & bullet casting forums but for those of you that don't, I'm a levergun nut! I have had a lifetime interest in these rifles, with a primary interest in the Marlins, but Rossi's introduction of the Rio Grande turned my head toward that product line as well. I still love my Marlins but I now have a complete line up of Rossi Rio Grande’s and R92's here on the ranch.

I'm a professional pilot (retired now), own a ranch on the top end of South Texas, and own Ranch Dog Outdoors which sponsors this forum as well as the Lee Loader forum. Ranch Dog Outdoors started business offering custom levergun bullet molds which were cut by Lee Precision but I make a decision in late 2012 to bring that business to a close. My primary interest is first and foremost my family, but I'm involved in bullet casting, reloading, and shooting. I have a deep passion in managing my land for whitetails and hunting them.

As I gained interest in Rossi rifles, it seemed to me that a forum dedicated to the Rossi enthusiasts was desperately needed. I hope you will enjoy and support the opportunity this forum represents and I encourage you to use it share your experiences and learn from the experiences of others!

Please take the time to follow my lead and tell all forum members about yourself!

Michael
Moofy07

Re: Ranch Dog

Post by Moofy07 »

Hi Michael,
It's good to converse with you again and thanks for the great new forum.
Graeme.
moofy
Warhawk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Warhawk »

Howdy RD, I've been reading your stuff for years over on MO and didn't know that you were a pilot. I'm not a pilot, but I have worked in the Aerospace business for over 20 years and was a maintenance troop in the USAF before that. My youngest son is a C-130 pilot, he's headed to Dyess AFB in Abilene next month.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Warhawk wrote:Howdy RD, I've been reading your stuff for years over on MO and didn't know that you were a pilot. I'm not a pilot, but I have worked in the Aerospace business for over 20 years and was a maintenance troop in the USAF before that. My youngest son is a C-130 pilot, he's headed to Dyess AFB in Abilene next month.
Yep, been a professional aviator my whole life. I fly a Boeing 737 for a major airline and it has been a heck of a ride, a great way to make a living. Your son has a good carrier ahead of him.
Michael
Warhawk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Warhawk »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Warhawk wrote:Howdy RD, I've been reading your stuff for years over on MO and didn't know that you were a pilot. I'm not a pilot, but I have worked in the Aerospace business for over 20 years and was a maintenance troop in the USAF before that. My youngest son is a C-130 pilot, he's headed to Dyess AFB in Abilene next month.
Yep, been a professional aviator my whole life. I fly a Boeing 737 for a major airline and it has been a heck of a ride, a great way to make a living. Your son has a good carrier ahead of him.
I worked at Boeing Wichita for 13 years, and I'll bet I inspected a lot of parts that are on those 737s that you fly <G>.
insector

Post by insector »

Greetings.........your write-up on the 45-70 is what drew me to this forum......I also have 3 levergun Marlins. One is the guide gun 45-70. But the lighter, less expensive rio grande has got my attention!.......I have a rossi m92 in a .45 colt and have used that one on cow elk.......it is a fine piece at 5 pounds............very nice for my hunt habitat since it can be hard going in the snow..........

So the lighter rossi in a rio grande 45-70 becons to me.........but i just bought that marlin and should at least shoot a few rounds through it first.............one thing leads to another, eh?

I do pest control for boeing in Montana here.........YO

:)
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome inspector, I remain very happy with my RG4570B. I have some hogs tearing up my yard and they are going to get to meet it soon!
Michael
Leverlad

Post by Leverlad »

Hi RD

I followed you over from MO too ... I got a bunch of Marlins, but my wife has always had a soft spot for the rossi 92's ever since she took ove a .357 i had laying around .... I just bought a second hand half round/half octagonal 24 inch 92 in 45LC and i am sure the Rio Grande in 45-70 is on the horizon ...

I have hunted in Africa for years and europe a few times and now live in Australia and am still hunting with my son when i can !

Thanks for the new forum - I am sure i will learn loads hrere too ...

Cheers
Dave
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Greetings Dave, good to see you here, and good to see another fellow that is finding the utility and value available with the Rossi levergun!
Michael
Tazman1602

Post by Tazman1602 »

Hey Ranch Dog,

I know you from over at cast boolits, Thanks for having this forum. I've wanted a Marlin levergun in .357 for a lot of years now but never could lay my hands on one. I've got five others I picked up over the years and have several of your bullet designs. My paritcular favorite is the 265gr RF in .444 Marlin. That bullet really works.

737 driver eh? Last time I was in one of those the blasted things it had a compressor stall at 30K feet. I liked to go poopy in my drawers..................

Anyways with the price of the "new" Marlingtons, and the fact they're not *really* Marlins anymore, I just threw up my hands and said to heck with it and have a Rossi M92 .357 mag 24" octagonal coming here Tuesday. I am an FFL dealer in my area so I'm fairly busy this time of year (deer season almost here). Looking forward to casting for this one also and can't wait to get it in my hot little hands.

Art
Pappys Rifle Shop
Alanson, MI
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. "
---Theodore Roosevelt