Greetings Members!

Tell us a bit about yourself!
Kiwi-Hunter

Re: Greetings Members!

Post by Kiwi-Hunter »

I got off on the wrong post I think, still working my way around how to use the posting side of things.
Have had some good input from members, which to me is a great start.
I have been reading for a few days, haven't had a lot to do with lever rifles.
I did have a Win in 30 30. Have done a fair bit of shooting over the years, then things interfere with the life stile.
But as it happened I was given a lot of 38 and 357 most needs to be reloaded, I had nothing in that cal. BUT I have now a 16" ss 92 hasn't quite arrived yet, should be this week.
So I look forward to reading and posting In the days ahead on the Rossi 92.
I will end up slicking it a bit no question on that, as it hasn't been done that I do know.
Like all I have some reloading questions ..what's a good all round load, what powder works well etc.
Some one said opinions are like elbows ever one has a couple of them, So then it's it just sorting out the left from the right.
I like to hunt for the pot mainly, the hills are starting to became to high, if you know what I mean.
The picture is my son's first Deer.
We all remember our first.
KH
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Kiwi-Hunter on 16 May 2014 22:22, edited 1 time in total.
No one ever regrets buying quality
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Very nice deer, you must be proud of Daniel! Welcome to the forum!
Michael
desert dog

Post by desert dog »

I have been enamored by lever action rifles forever, ever since I shot my dad's Winchester 30-30 for the 1st time when I was 10.

That being said, I did not own any lever guns until 2002 when I bought a Puma 454 to shoot my .45 Colt handloads. It is a wonderful platform to go along with my Ruger Blackhawk convertible chambered in 45 Colt/45 ACP. The heavy loads that was causing grief to my hand in the Blackhawk were easily accomodated by the Puma.

Recently though, I have been entranced by the Rossi Saddle Ring carbines, and now own two: one in 357 magnum and the most recent purchase, a 45 Colt version, that I have been looking for for about 2 years now.

I have my dad's '53 Winchester 94, and it is a prized possession, but it is followed closely by my Puma, which i have outfitted with glow sights from Brownells. It is a .45 caliber laser beam with my .45 Colt, 335 gr. handloads.

I am glad I found this forum.
craiginct

Post by craiginct »

You're going to enjoy that Rossi 92 in 16". I have that one and the 24". Both guns needed some tweaks and smoothing. As many other posts indicate, be careful of that loading gate as the edges are often uncomfortable at best and usually rather sharp... unless Rossi has decided to upgrade their machining and finish requirements.

On both guns I did the following: I immediately replaced the plastic magazine followers with stainless followers from Steve's Gunz. I also shortened the magazine springs just enough to allow the mags to hold one more round than OEM spec. The third thing I did was help my focus and sighting by installing Marlin "bullseye" rear sights for faster target acquisition. IF you change the sights, be sure to match the height of the sights front and rear... if you want to hit what you're aiming at. I also have had to do a little smoothing of the loading gate area, to keep from abusing my thumb while stuffing rounds in there, but it didn't take a lot of rework to get it to a bearable condition. If you want, there are gunsmiths who'll strip and polish all the workings for you, and then there is the video that Steve's Gunz puts out, which is VERY helpful. IF you have someone else work on your lever gun, be sure he/she is fluent in lever gun mechanicals. There are a LOT of little parts in there. There are some excellent YouTube videos (and there are some not so good ones) about stripping, cleaning, and modifying lever guns. Use discretion. If the Tuber doing the video sounds like he/she does not know what he/she is talking about... go to a different video! By contrast, on the other hand, there are some skilled mechanics and gunsmiths putting out very good info and videos about caring for and modifying lever guns, including the 92.

My guns were a bit stiff when I got them, but I have allowed their internal workings to break in naturally by shooting them. From the factory, they cycled, and continue to cycle, very well with virtually any 357 ammo I throw at both of them. In 38 cal, I haven't tried anything but Remington Golden Saber ammo. I sometimes use lead slugs, like Fiocchi 158gr LFP, but I tend to lean toward jacketed or semi-jacketed rounds to reduce the risk of shaving the slug during chambering... especially with the sharp edge issues on Rossi lever guns.

Enjoy your new carbine when you get it. It should be a very good brush gun. I haven't had mine in the woods yet. Since you focus on putting meat on the table, may I encourage you to be sure to establish the clean kill distance of your gun, and the ammo with which you intend to take game. I'm sure you don't want wounded critters wandering around, or having to trail them for hours. One-shot, one-kill. At least that's the objective, right? Less suffering for the animal, less time tracking, less meat damage, cheaper on ammo.
Kiwi-Hunter

Post by Kiwi-Hunter »

Thanks Craig for your input and well come <*)))>< KH
No one ever regrets buying quality
craiginct

Post by craiginct »

You're welcome KH! I'm always glad to know when something I learned is of use to others.

BTW, Ranch Dog, am I 'allowed' to say Marlin on here? ;-) I opted for the Marlin 1895 GBL 45-70 instead of the Rio Grande. It has a VERY smooth action, for out of the box, and only cost a little more than the RG. That monster sure packs a punch! but not being satisfied with b/p rounds or Hornady FTX 325gr screamers, I bought some 405gr Remington rounds, AND some 500gr Buffalo-Barnes FMJ-FP rounds too, for knocking down all those lions, and tigers, and elephants we don't have here in CT. You don't run too many of those full power 45-70 rounds through your gun before noticing that you're shooting something more than a peashooter... even when hugging her tight, she still kicks like she likes it.

I love the smell of gun oil and powder smoke!
evanbly

Post by evanbly »

I am new to this forum and sort of an unlikely visitor. I was raised on a ranch in the outback of Arizona and ran from that to construction work and then to school. I've gone full circle and I am now much older and back in an outback, in Nevada.

I am not much of a hunter and not a collector. But I really enjoy practicing, just to keep in shape. And I really enjoy this forum. I appreciate the work you do to keep this going and to give a large number of people a voice. Thank you. Evan
craiginct

Post by craiginct »

Welcome, Evan! I hope you find the forum helpful. I certainly have been encouraged and clarified on numerous Rossi issues, and have, hence, eventually solved most of them without needing to take my guns to a smith. Enjoy your target shooting! that's mostly what I do also. It was many years between trips to the range, and many years added to this body, so my aim is not what it used to be and I am working on retraining myself. Have at it!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Welcome, We all here try to help any that need it and sometimes just end up chit chatting as well. good folks make for good times and we have a great forum because of our family type atmospere. :D
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
2whlgeezer

Post by 2whlgeezer »

Good afternoon all. New here, but old (and retired) otherwise. Got a pointer to the Rossi Rifleman recently, wish I had found it sooner!. I have a 16" 357 SRC, the wife has a 357 Ranch Hand. Love going to the range and shooting our Rossi levers side by side. Working together (wife and I) have pretty much done the Steve Gunz DVD / spring and cleanup on both. Love my carbine, a perfect Florida palmetto / hog gun. Killed (and eaten...) several with it. Only had it about 3 years, but put a lot of reloaded cast 38s downrange with it. Wife's Ranch Hand had a wicked feeding issue, but the folks in Miami were great about repairs and return. Looking forward to reading up on all the Rossi news here.
Bill