Site Admin

Re: Greetings Members!

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum Bill!
Michael
craiginct

Post by craiginct »

@ 2whlgeezer: Welcome to the forum! as you can see I have a couple of the Rossi levers. My 24" is as accurate as one can get with iron sights and a 66yo hand that rarely gets to the range. I'm glad to hear you're cleaning up the hogs with the 357 and 16" bbl. what range are you taking those, normally? I'm still trying to get the feel of my 16" carbine at the range. I had swapped out the rear buckhorn V and installed Marble bull's-eye rear sights on both lever guns. VERY quick target acquisition with those. VERY intuitive, but the carbine seems to want a slightly higher front sight now. Maybe the quick fix is just shoot higher grain bullets instead of the 158gr that I was using. Besides, the gray calculator between my ears doesn't work as well as it used to, for converting ballistics. Not as intuitive as I used to be. I've found my 24" much more forgiving, maybe because of higher velocity of all rounds out of that long bbl. That's sweet that you and your wife are shooting together. Does my heart good to hear that! Also glad to hear you're using all that pig meat. I shoot for self and family defense, targets, and food for the table.
chris45

Post by chris45 »

Hello All,

After owning A model 92 rossi for a few years in 45 colt, I recently purchased another in 38/357 mag , Both are the 24" octagon bbl's , and i use them at cowboy silhouette matches. Just roaming through the forum to see what loads you folks are having success with...

Peace

Chris 45
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

chris45 wrote:Hello All,

After owning A model 92 rossi for a few years in 45 colt, I recently purchased another in 38/357 mag , Both are the 24" octagon bbl's , and i use them at cowboy silhouette matches. Just roaming through the forum to see what loads you folks are having success with...

Peace

Chris 45
Welcome Chris!
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Welcome Bill and Chris
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
rman
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by rman »

Peace

Chris 45
Welcome aboard! I have a Rossi 92 with a 20" octagon barrel that I use for pistol caliber cowboy silhouette. This one shoots good for me and knocks down all of them I hit:
Norma .357 Mag cases
CCI 500 primers
Berry's 125 gr FP hard cast bullets
5.3 gr of W231 or HP328
At my age, there IS nothing better than shooting.
craiginct

Post by craiginct »

Peace

Chris 45
:D Welcome to the discussion, Chris!

I have used all sorts of 38 and 357 ammo with my rossi levers and all of it loads and shoots well, including with my 24" rossi 92. I'm not a competition shooter, but more interested in whether I can simply chamber the rounds easily and hit a kill zone when I finally manage to take my 24"er hunting. Adjusting for respective ballistics characteristics of the ammo, I have shot the following with kill zone accuracy, from 25 to 100 yards. I have yet to test my self on 200 and 300 yard ranges. I have iron sights on my 24"er and the rear is a Marble bulls-eye sight which helps with easy acquisition, especially considering that I have cataracts, and glaucoma that is under management.

I hope you find something your gun likes among these that I've shot.

38 special
remington 125 gr +p golden saber jhp
magtech 158 gr sjhp
winchester elite 130 gr +p bjhp

357 magnum
double tap 125 gr defense bjhp
remington golden saber 125 gr jhp
hornady leverevolution 140 gr ftx (ballistic tip)
hornady custom 158 gr xtp (jhp)
lellier & bellot 158 gr fmj
bulls-eye ammo 158 gr jhp
armscor 58 gr fmj
blazer 158 gr jhp
magtech 158 gr sjhp
american eagel 158 gr jsp
pmc bronze 158 gr jsp
remington htp 180 gr sjhp
grizzly 158 gr wfn
prograde (bear load) 200 gr wfngc hardcast
hsm (bear load) 158 gr lead rnfp gas check
chris45

Post by chris45 »

Thanks for the welcome folks, and the load ideas, the rifle shoots pretty good groups at 50 yds using hornady 140 gr XTP bullets over top 15 gr of 4227 powder, ..however the few cast bullets I have tried are not doing that well. but i'm sure to find a combo that works.

C45
craiginct

Post by craiginct »

remember that everything can affect the performance, including texture of the round (jacketed or hardcast), the shape of the round (fmjfp, sjrn, sjsp, hcfp), as well as the ballistic coefficient as affected by the relative size of the meplat (crosssection of the tip of the round)... the bigger the meplat the more resistance to the air.

The question is, what do you want your bullets to accomplish for you, and at what range? if you're just punching targets that's one thing, but if you're interested in dropping game or varmints at a certain range then that is entirely different, especially if you want one-shot-one-kill performance. getting to know what your ammo is able to do is vital to both types of shooting.

do NOT expect different ammo configurations to perform the same way. THAT was my initial learning curve when I got back into shooting after being away from it for a long time. another thing that I had forgotten was that a cold gun usually shoots differently from a hot gun. If your into rapid fire accuracy, then you need to warm up the gun and zero it warm. If you're planning one or two shots with a gun, as in hunting, then it doesn't make any sense to fire 20-40 rapid shots while zeroing the thing or a scope. for hunting or varminting you'd want to zero your weapon cold, leaving cool off time between shots, in an attempt to gain greater accuracy on every first shot. If you're looking to set up a combat weapon, then you'll be planning to zero that for hot shooting accuracy.
skypilot1

Post by skypilot1 »

Howdy, folks. new member from Texas. Love the 92. I am a Cowboy Church pastor and a mounted shooter, the 92 with 16 inch barrel is almost the perfect long gun for comp. at least imho. well just wanted to get on the board so God bless and everyone have a good one.