Hello from the cold, cold mountains.

Tell us a bit about yourself!
Dan 444
Founding Member
Founding Member

Hello from the cold, cold mountains.

Post by Dan 444 »

Just found this place via RD Outdoors site! I see a whole bunch of familiar names....looks like we're gonna have to have a postal match. Steelbanger may have gotten the hawg hunt, but I got the Hornady "bullet board" :D !

Well, I've got a number of Marlin triple-fours, 1895's and 336's in every caliber (caliber, not model) that Marlin made and I'm not going to tell any of them that I'm registered on this forum.

I don't own a Rossi, yet, and don't know a lot about them; however, that will probably change.

I cast my own lead bullets (RD molds) for almost all of my Marlins.....from 219 Zipper to 45-70. For whitetails I use 30-30, 35Rem, 356Win, 375, 444. For bear 444, 45-70. Varmints get stung by the Zipper. These, and the rest of "the gang", put a lot of holes in paper, as well.

Best to all,
Dan
kliff
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Hello from the cold, cold mountains.

Post by kliff »

Welcome aboard Dan, from another newb.
kliff
AR15, 5.56mm home made
'71 Winchester NRA Centennial 30/30
336 Marlin 30/30
Henry Big Boy 45LC
Rossi M92SS 45LC
Rossi Ranch Hand 45LC
Rossi Rio Grande 45-70
Ruger Black Hawk 45LC (x2)
Taurus Judge 45LC/.410
Taurus Tracker 357
Colt Gov't Mod
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

kliff wrote:Welcome aboard Dan, from another newb.
Hey, we are all newbies here. One day soon we will be the old dogs!

Greetings Dan, good to see you here! I guess we go back aways :) I still love those 444s. I have a new one pickled from the last Marlin year of production. I will probably give it to my most recent grandson way down the road. I bought it pretty close to the month he was born. Them fellows at Remlin kind of hurt my feelings when they dropped the rifle. Oh well, I have plenty of them and I guess it is just business. I sure haven't been spending much of my money on them though.
Michael
Dan 444
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Dan 444 »

Michael,

Yes, we do go back a ways. It was you and Marshall that drew my interest to the 444. My first lever action rifle was the Marlin 444 and it's still my favorite. I have five and, interestingly, they all perform most accurately with the identical load! The sweet spot for each one of them is: TLC432-300-RF, R-P brass, Rem 9 1/2 LRP and H335/51g. This is a pretty stout load that's been good for large whitetails and black bear. I, too, was disappointed when Remlin dropped the caliber, but it is what it is.

Best,
Dan
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Dan 444 wrote:Michael,

Yes, we do go back a ways. It was you and Marshall that drew my interest to the 444. My first lever action rifle was the Marlin 444 and it's still my favorite. I have five and, interestingly, they all perform most accurately with the identical load! The sweet spot for each one of them is: TLC432-300-RF, R-P brass, Rem 9 1/2 LRP and H335/51g. This is a pretty stout load that's been good for large whitetails and black bear. I, too, was disappointed when Remlin dropped the caliber, but it is what it is.

Best,
Dan
That is a good 444 load Dan. I was thinking about a purchasing a Pedersoli 86/71 Boar Buster but I have had second thoughts about it. I believe that I will have a fellow named Robert Bose refinish my 444T for me as I suspect that rifle will somewhere down the road be my last. Robert has done some work for me in the past and I think I would like to see him handle an update to my rifle.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Heck yea that is what I love about new forums. welcome we are all founding members.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ranch Dog wrote:I was thinking about a purchasing a Pedersoli 86/71 Boar Buster but I have had second thoughts about it. I believe that I will have a fellow named Robert Bose refinish my 444T for me as I suspect that rifle will somewhere down the road be my last. Robert has done some work for me in the past and I think I would like to see him handle an update to my rifle.
Hey Dan, that post moved me off my stool and I did something about my decision on the 444. My "T" is enroute to Robert Bose and I have dropped the purchase consideration on the Pedersoli.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

akuser47 wrote:Heck yea that is what I love about new forums. welcome we are all founding members.
When we get a few members and posts down the line I will come up with some type of "Founders" group to assign to say the first 100 members. No pay, just title!
Michael
Dan 444
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Dan 444 »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote:I was thinking about a purchasing a Pedersoli 86/71 Boar Buster but I have had second thoughts about it. I believe that I will have a fellow named Robert Bose refinish my 444T for me as I suspect that rifle will somewhere down the road be my last. Robert has done some work for me in the past and I think I would like to see him handle an update to my rifle.
Hey Dan, that post moved me off my stool and I did something about my decision on the 444. My "T" is enroute to Robert Bose and I have dropped the purchase consideration on the Pedersoli.

Michael,

There's not many 444T's around. I've never seen one in person. Be sure to post pictures when that beauty returns home.

Dan
kliff
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by kliff »

Ranch Dog wrote:
akuser47 wrote:Heck yea that is what I love about new forums. welcome we are all founding members.
When we get a few members and posts down the line I will come up with some type of "Founders" group to assign to say the first 100 members. No pay, just title!

SWEEEEEEEET! :mrgreen:
kliff
AR15, 5.56mm home made
'71 Winchester NRA Centennial 30/30
336 Marlin 30/30
Henry Big Boy 45LC
Rossi M92SS 45LC
Rossi Ranch Hand 45LC
Rossi Rio Grande 45-70
Ruger Black Hawk 45LC (x2)
Taurus Judge 45LC/.410
Taurus Tracker 357