Truck Guns - Practicality Questions

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Truck Guns - Practicality Questions

Post by Rooster59 »

My 92 Puma is my go-to gun and fits the application well to be a "truck gun" as well. So far, I take it along on off-season trips to deer camp to carry it on the golf cart or tractor when doing chores. I've also taken it with me on trips when it can stay within reach or eyesight and not risk theft.

The topic of keeping it secure is for another thread. Specifically, I'm interested in what is the legal method for transporting it during those outings. As with any hunting rifle I transport it in the cab or bed topper in a softcase, unloaded with ammo in a range bag, etc. Typically this is within my home state but on occasion I've taken it along on an out of state upland hunt for some plinking after we limit out.

That said, there are times I'd prefer to have it available for personal protection such as returning to my rural home in case I surprise a bad guy(s). Obviously calling 911 is the first step in cases like that. However, I can't dial 911 and shove 8 rounds of 45LC into my 92 at the same time.

Are there requirements that a long gun remain unloaded while being transported? There are some state hunting regulations that require long guns be unloaded during transport even on an ATV or UTV but I've never read or heard about "on road" transport when not involved with a hunting activity.

Anyone have any accurate information on this?

Jeff
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Truck Guns - Practicality Questions

Post by Ranch Dog »

It really depends what your State's rules are. Here in Texas, pretty much anything goes. Firearms can be loaded in the vehicle on public roads and you can move loaded firearms from your residence to your vehicle and back. If you own a business, you can move them from the vehicle and back. The business owner dictates the rules if you do not own the business. This is open carry stuff.

I just finished a hunt on a NWF and their rules are different and seem weird to a native Texan as the firearms need to be unloaded and cased while on refuge roads. That is so unTexan. Here we can even hunt from motorized vehicles as long as we are off public roads on private land.

What State are you in?
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Rooster59 wrote:My 92 Puma is my go-to gun and fits the application well to be a "truck gun" as well. So far, I take it along on off-season trips to deer camp to carry it on the golf cart or tractor when doing chores. I've also taken it with me on trips when it can stay within reach or eyesight and not risk theft.

The topic of keeping it secure is for another thread. Specifically, I'm interested in what is the legal method for transporting it during those outings. As with any hunting rifle I transport it in the cab or bed topper in a softcase, unloaded with ammo in a range bag, etc. Typically this is within my home state but on occasion I've taken it along on an out of state upland hunt for some plinking after we limit out.

That said, there are times I'd prefer to have it available for personal protection such as returning to my rural home in case I surprise a bad guy(s). Obviously calling 911 is the first step in cases like that. However, I can't dial 911 and shove 8 rounds of 45LC into my 92 at the same time.

Are there requirements that a long gun remain unloaded while being transported? There are some state hunting regulations that require long guns be unloaded during transport even on an ATV or UTV but I've never read or heard about "on road" transport when not involved with a hunting activity.

Anyone have any accurate information on this?

Jeff
Most states allow you to carry a loaded, concealed handgun on your person & in your vehicle with a CCW permit from that state or issued by a state that has a reciprocity agreement with the state you are visiting.
Interstate carrying of handguns, especially loaded handguns, can be finicky or downright confining (like being in jail) depending on the state you're in........watch New York & New Jersey in particular & of course DC goes without saying.
You can't call 911 when you're being beaten or stabbed to death either...........SO TAKE THE GUN !......if you're interstate traveling check out the CURRENT laws in each & every state you will be visiting BEFORE you go.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Most states in my experience require that long guns (rifles & shotguns) be unloaded in a motor vehicle as only handguns are covered by CCW permits. I know that is the case in Maine where I spend a lot of time. I have a Maine CCW permit and can carry a loaded handgun in my pick-up but my hunting rifle is not covered by the permit and must be unloaded in the vehicle.
The law might be different in other states. The onus is on YOU to make sure you are fully compliant with federal, state & local laws, regulations and ordinances.
Make sure you know what the current law is for EACH & EVERY jurisdiction where you plan on possessing your particular firearm whether it be rifle, shotgun or handgun.
Check official sources.
Trusting anecdotal or second hand hearsay can get you locked up.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Barry in IN
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Barry in IN »

I'm not sure how it is now, but at one time in Indiana, there was a conflict in the laws. The regular state firearms laws said you could carry a loaded gun of any kind in your vehicle, but the state hunting regs were used to ticket people for "vehicle hunting" by having a loaded gun in the car/truck.
Obviously, the difference is- Were you hunting, or just driving around with a gun?, which was left to the judge to sort out.
I think that's been sorted out now (you can do it) but I don't know.

Point being- I with them. Check regular firearms laws AND hunting laws.

Beats me. I use a Garand as a truck gun. Loads fast, loaded clips store in cup holders, and it works for anything from the biggest animal I'll likely see here to rapid fire disengagement from an attacking force.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

If you had a loaded handgun in a shoulder holster in your PU and a couple of dead grouse on the floor the conservation officer wouldn't need to be a MIT grad to figure whether the gun was being used for purely defensive or hunting purposes. :D :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

I'm in Missouri and had my concealed carry permit since they approved it here. I'm good enough with my carry gun to keep the 50 yard gongs ringing but believe in the old saying, "pistols are for fighting your way to a rifle".

Just thought there might be some common knowledge available here before I confer with the proper authorities. Even that could provide conflicting theories unless I find the right person(s) to ask.

I have an old friend who is ex-LEO, ex-DEA, and now works as an investigator for the county attorney. He should know or can find out for me. He's as straight as they come and very trustworthy. About 20% of the 1100 members at my rifle club are LEO of some flavor too.

Of course, if I would commit myself to tearing down my 92 again and smooth out the loading gate and port I might be faster loading it when I need it!

Jeff
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Rooster59 wrote:I'm in Missouri and had my concealed carry permit since they approved it here. I'm good enough with my carry gun to keep the 50 yard gongs ringing but believe in the old saying, "pistols are for fighting your way to a rifle".

Just thought there might be some common knowledge available here before I confer with the proper authorities. Even that could provide conflicting theories unless I find the right person(s) to ask.

I have an old friend who is ex-LEO, ex-DEA, and now works as an investigator for the county attorney. He should know or can find out for me. He's as straight as they come and very trustworthy. About 20% of the 1100 members at my rifle club are LEO of some flavor too.

Of course, if I would commit myself to tearing down my 92 again and smooth out the loading gate and port I might be faster loading it when I need it!

Jeff
"pistols are for fighting your way to a rifle"
Who ever coined that phrase was never involved in any tactical self defense (from other people) situations......probably the author of western novels whose only imminent danger experience was from paper cuts & the occasional jab from a pen nib.

The loaded concealed handgun +guns is the best weapon system for defensive purposes from other human beings.
Your people attackers will usually strike from close range whether armed or unarmed.
The unloaded rifle is far too slow to respond to the close-in unexpected threats that would ever likely occur in an urban environment.

On the other hand if the so-called attacker was 50 yards away when you dropped him good luck explaining an armed response to "an imminent threat" to a police officer or a judge.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Pricedo, you have hit the nail on the head with self defense. Take the distances used, the distances used for both training and self defense. Shooters often find it laughable that they are measured in feet rather than yards but a lot has gone into "what is reasonable". You shoot somebody "outside the box" in my State and you will find your retirement being spent on defending yourself. The outer band of the certification range, 21' here, is considered the point at which you should be able to flee the threat and the point at which taking a life to defend a life is not reasonable.

I live without neighbors but would never discharge a shotgun or rifle in my home except as a last ditch effort at saving a life, this is what self defense handguns are for. This is what high capacity 380 Autos (or smaller) were designed for. The 9mm Luger, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, etc. will punch through a wall. Nice story line for a movie, shooting the BG through a wall, but very dangerous for family living. Hell, I don't even want to hurt my dog during a self defense event, only the bad guy.

The above is offered from a guy that has the possibility of having up to 30 individuals walk through my yard at night. That hasn't happened in over a decade in my neck of the woods and despite what we hear and read about the border, the noose has drawn down considerably. We did have a dozen hit the brush two years ago when an effort to stop a van went bad. Those individuals where never caught and at some point they had to have been on my place. My "castle" is a rectangular box a mile long by a half mile wide. Still, I would have a heck of time staying out of prison if I took a life to save a life and did it outside of the smaller "box" described above.

To me, a "truck gun" (I use guns as such), is totally different from a self defense gun and not the same. I shoot critters with my truck guns while I have a self defense gun holstered on my belt.

A good source for "gun rights" info is the Bloomfield Press. There, up to date books detailing Federal and most State's laws are available. I always have a current copy of the Texas laws on my reading table and buy each revision of the book as I feel it is my responsibility to read the rules first hand and not to depend on others to interpret the information for me. Alan Korwin's free email newsletter, "Page Nine", is worth receiving.

Finally, being we are talking "practical", talk with your attorney about this stuff. I did, and you will find that self defense is not going to be an easy and inexpensive event. My attorney researched the average cost of drawing your weapon in public and it is going to be $20K. Kill somebody within the bounds of the law, $250K. This is just the average cost of defending yourself in the civil suites that will follow and believe me they will follow.
Michael
larryp

Post by larryp »

Here in Montana you can carry a fully loaded gun in your vehicle without any restrictions. Also if someone breaks into your rig and steals it then uses it to commit a crime you are not liable.