Freedom Group going up for sale

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Barry in IN
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Freedom Group going up for sale

Post by Barry in IN »

The caving continues. I don't have a link, but heard Dicks Sporting Goods has said they are going to stop selling "assault rifles".

Ranch dog took the words right out of my mouth. I already said something similar elsewhere. Let them sell. And looking at the crowd at the gun shop yesterday, it's no doubt a great time to sell. The value can't get any better, and they've surely squeezed every nickel out of them already.

Thinking out loud...er, online: USFA buys Marlin? Springfield buys Marlin? Ronnie Barret buys...any of them? I can think of worse things to come out of all of this.
Last edited by Barry in IN on 18 Dec 2012 13:17, edited 1 time in total.
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

I think this will blow over once the news and its viewers loses interest and runs out of angles to cover. One angle I would like to see but never will, is how their continuous round the clock news coverage actually goes a long way to create these copycat slaughters in the first place. They plant the seeds and all it takes is someone mentally deranged with a starved ego to want to have all that world wide attention for themselves (yes even though they will be dead).
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Arktikos wrote:I think this will blow over once the news and its viewers loses interest and runs out of angles to cover. One angle I would like to see but never will, is how their continuous round the clock news coverage actually goes a long way to create these copycat slaughters in the first place. They plant the seeds and all it takes is someone mentally deranged with a starved ego to want to have all that world wide attention for themselves (yes even though they will be dead).
+1
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Barry in IN wrote:The caving continues. I don't have a link, but heard Dicks Sporting Goods has said they are going to stop selling "assault rifles".
I saw an official statement from them today and that is it in a nutshell. They are not players in my neck of the woods but it is a foolish move on their part. Are they going to end sales on on semi-auto handguns and shotguns? I hope their customer base holds them accountable and stops spending their money in the DSG chain.
Michael
Barry in IN
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Barry in IN »

Dicks Sporting Goods are around here. They bought out a local sporting goods business. The store nearest me had only a few long guns and no handguns. I don't recall seeing a semiauto rifle in there unless it was a 10-22 or Rem 597, but honestly never paid much attention. There was never anybody at the counter, since they were usually stacking up displays of shotgun shells or something.

The only time I've ever seen anyone looking at anything in the hunting dept was archery stuff. They do have an archery range.
When Black Friday rolls around, I hear some people talking about a gun or two in their ad (like a $169 10-22) but that is the only time I've heard anyone even talk about buying a gun there. Usually, I don't even think about them having guns.

They are much more into softball bats and old ladies warmup suits than selling guns, so my guess is they wouldn't lose 5% of their revenue if they dropped guns entirely.
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Steelbanger »

Big deal about Dick's. When they first opened within a few miles drive I thought they only sold spandex pants, sneakers, and golfing equipment. Then I learned that they also had some guns in the back of the sales area. Like someone once wrote online: Dick's is the most aptly named business ever.

I just got back from my local dealer and he told me that all day, every day it is a hassle getting through on the instant check. Sales are really up. I stopped in today to pick up a Ruger Vaquero chambered for that old Indian fighting round, the 44-40 Win. It only took him about 15 minutes to get through this evening. An initial inspection shows that the Vaquero needs the cylinder throats opened a bit.
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Steelbanger wrote:i just got back from my local dealer and he told me that all day, every day it is a hassle getting through on the instant check. Sales are really up. I stopped in today to pick up a Ruger Vaquero chambered for that old Indian fighting round, the 44-40 Win. It only took him about 15 minutes to get through this evening. An initial inspection shows that the Vaquero needs the cylinder throats opened a bit.
Very nice Frank!

No wait with the CHL, fill out the form and go...
Michael
Barry in IN
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Barry in IN »

After the 2008 election when ammo got scarce, I know a guy who went into a Dick's looking for something else, but saw some 7.62x39 ammo. It was the Wolf that was in 20-rd boxes, but with boxes plastic wrapped together- maybe 25 boxes to make 500 rounds. There was a price sticker over each box of whatever the going rate was then- around $3.99 maybe.
He took one wrapped bundle downstairs to the cashier.
She rang it up as $3.99. Total.
Here is where my honestly would have got the best of me, and I would have said something. Not this guy. He said "hold on" and went back to get the rest. Then he drove around to every Dick's around Indianapolis pulling the same thing. When I talked to him, his only regret was having his car instead of his truck.

I always thought that was a rotten thing to do.
I'm kinda glad he did it now.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I would have a hard time doing it but I think it is funny that someone got to them!
Michael
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

Barry in IN wrote:
I always thought that was a rotten thing to do.
I'm kinda glad he did it now.
That reminds me of the Western Auto here where I buy my primers. The CCI price per hundred were $3.89 but when they scan the box of 1000 downstairs it rings up the same, $3.89 and not 38.90. I can't do it, even if I didn't like the store (which I do). There is a bit of my Dad hardwired into me it seems that won't allow it.. :|
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!