My Dogs

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Dogs

Post by Ranch Dog »

Came out of the big dog barn at Pet Adoptions of Cuero, and my truck was gone :evil:

Went inside to view the security footage and darn if Zeus, behind the wheel, and his pen mate, Laurel, hadn't taken it. Figured I ought to adopt them, so they didn't get in trouble. At least they swung back by to pick me up!

Seriously, my volunteer work was coming to an end as I personally just could handle all the emotion that comes with working with the big dogs. Puppies and sissy dogs move quick but the big dogs are in for the long haul, and it just tugs at me in a weird way. It hit me really hard when I was asked to recover a dog that had been left in the backyard of a house for two years unattended. The elderly lady that had lived in the home had passed, but her daughter wanted the dog left to "watch the property." Meals on wheels and the neighbors had continued to feed the dog, but the recent extreme temperatures would have killed the dog, so somebody finally made the call. I had to get the dog catcher to come and snag the dog with a pole, and he transported it to Adoptions. The lady next door was moving as all this was happening, she came out and told me she was going to need to leave her dog behind as the apartment would not allow it. This lady was going to leave a large dog that had been raised as a lap dog out in the teens and twenties temperatures to fend for itself. I could not believe she was serious, but she was. I called the Director, but we were overflowing because of the need to provide heated space. She said to "do what you got to do and we will figure it out." So I did, I brought Zeus to my home.

He is probably 50% cur, 35% bulldog, and 15% Australian Shepard.

After the temperatures came back up, Zeus went to the large dog barn, and I paired him up with Laurel, a male hound that had been left behind in our park as a hurricane evacuee passed through town. This happened more than you could believe as people found out their pets were not welcome at the shelters they were headed to.

Laurel is very laid back, in fact, too laid back to be placed with most of the large dogs that find their way to Adoptions. He is about two, and Zeus about 18 months so after a brief introduction, the hit it off and I left them together. I always thought that I would like to take Laurel because he is so laid back. When someone comes to look at large dogs, he is missed because of the chaos a visitor creates.

Anyway, after two nights I could of fretting over "my dogs" in the barn, I couldn't handle it anymore as I arrived at Adoptions. I gathered them up and took them home and told all the others to behave and I hoped they find homes.

The two "brothers from different mothers" have worked well, and I suspect they will continue to do so. These guys are tight but both at a different activity levels. For me, a great balance. You've seen Zeus, here is my hound Laurel.

Michael
ShortStop

Re: My Dogs

Post by ShortStop »

You're a good man ! They are both Good looking dogs.
TinMan
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by TinMan »

ShortStop wrote:You're a good man ! They are both Good looking dogs.

What he said.......
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
George Orwell

"Fight only when you must. But if it's unavoidable.....fight like your the third monkey trying to get on the Ark."
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

Great story, great ending !
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I love happy endings
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thanks, guys! My dogs are a laugh a minute!
Michael
sistemasks

Post by sistemasks »

you held out longer than I thought you would.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Haah! Me too!
Michael
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Steelbanger »

Congratulations to you on the enlarged family. May they be your companions for a long time and guard and protect whatever they are assigned to.
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thank you, Frank! I'm sure having a good time working with them and showing them the ranch dog life! They are eager to please. It was a really good move taking both; I could have taken one without the other though. I do feel for all the dogs needing someone. On any given day, there are 14 to 20 large dogs available. Despite all the efforts to move them, a "guy" has never shown up even to look. God bless all the ladies that do.
Michael