Lost my ranch dog..

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lost my ranch dog..

Post by Ranch Dog »

In light of yesterday's tragic losses, this is small but my dog Millie passed. Her real name is Milagro, Spanish for "Miracle" which was given to her by a vet that rescued her. Not sure of the circumstances but in the ordeal, she had chewed through her right front leg to free herself of some hold. Because of the trauma to her limb, the vet was going to put her down unless someone was interested putting in the time she would need to recover. My wife and I immediately offered and funded the necessary surgery, but it was actually about a month before she had recovered enough to come home.

On adoption day ten years ago, she had been recovering at the vets home with other like animals, and it was absolute chaos inside. I took her out it the yard and let her go and then sat on the ground. She slowly walked over to me and crawled into my lap so I held her and she let loose several months of trembling right threw me.

Milagro became Millie as it just fit her loving nature and ended up being easier on the grandkids to pronounce. She was supposed to be my "wing-dog", but it soon became apparent that Momma was her overall favorite although I was good for a daily dose of laughs, adventure, and having a human to attack without penalty. Within a year of adopting her, a condition surfaced within my wife that causes seizures. After the first seizure, we realized that Millie, through her behavior, could forecast the events about 48 hours before they happened. Millie was pretty busy over a four-year period until the doctors got Momma's condition under control.

The absolute joy of her life was our grandchildren, above with our youngest granddaughter Austin this past summer. Any amount of roughhousing or loving was fine with her, just as long as they were doing something that involved her. My oldest grandson, who was born and raised on the ranch and thought of her as his pillow for watching TV, also thought cats had four legs and dogs three!

As she aged, she developed a cool, "been around the block" look with her bent ear, the result of an opossum bite! With age, she also developed lumbosacral, a condition affecting the spine, pelvis, and hips. It had been kept under control with medication as she went through good and bad days, the good always outweighed the bad. On Sunday evening, she started downhill a bit harder than before, but the meds did their job. By 8:30 last night we realized she was really in trouble, so I called the Vet and when he returned the call she was even worse. He agreed that her time had run out and said he would meet us at his office out on the highway. While I was carrying her to the car, she passed in my arm as I laid her on her down on the bed in the back. Momma took it real hard. Mille always took care of business, and I have no doubt that she took care of this so we would not face the burden of the decision.

I buried her in her favorite spot in the yard, a spot that offered her a commanding view of the entry road. One of her greatest pleasures was harassing the UPS Guy but always with a wagging tail.

Rest in peace, my friend.
Michael
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Lost my ranch dog..

Post by mr surveyor »

That is really sad news, but it leaves behind a good 10 years of memories.

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by zippy »

That smile on Austin's face shows the beloved status Millie had in your family. I'm sorry for your loss.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thank you for your kind words JD and Zippy. Yeah, the grandkids are in a bad fix right now, their first loss of this kind.
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

So sorry to hear. It leaves a hole when they go. I lost my Chessy to spinal problems. Haven't hunted ducks or geese with any intensity since that last season.

Curt
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thank you, Curt. I knew she was in real trouble Sunday night at 10:30. I had shot a hog in our yard and she didn't want to go out. Her eyes said both "yes" and "I'm sorry, but I'm spent." Usually, she would fly out of the house and off the porch.
Michael
dek1165

Post by dek1165 »

Sorry for your loss Ranch Dog, losing a dog is so sad.

Take care.

Jon
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

The story ended as it began. You've focused on what she did for you. As humans we can't converse with them but we can tell by other communique they're just as greatful for what we do for them.

Symbiotic.

The cycle of life is irreversible so I choose to dwell on the positive in these situations. Your story does that for us.

Thank you for sharing.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thank you for your kind words guys. I'm finding out she had more friends in town that I did! All kinds of people checking in after hearing about Millie.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Sorry for your lose, its hard to lose family especially a good dog
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!