IP Blocking...

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

IP Blocking...

Post by Ranch Dog »

Due to the nightly battle I fight with the Chinese, Nigerians, Vietnamese, and so on, I have started running an IP blocker. These scripts run a check of every IP that interrogates my web site. If the IP is on an extensive, daily updated blocklist, access is denied.

The only thing that I have observed is that the initial interrogation might take a second or two longer with slow connect speeds like I'm stuck with because of my geographical location but once you are in, your in.

The list also includes "Exploited Servers" here in the US. These are web servers that allow, promote, or look the other way as spammers and thieves work their magic. I hope these measures haven't blocked existing members in anyway but I have to take automated steps to insure the safety of this site as the manual labor to deal with this is too time consuming.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: IP Blocking...

Post by Ranch Dog »

All right, not one of the enemy made it through last night. Don't know what I will do with my free hour!
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: IP Blocking...........false security

Post by pricedo »

IP blocking might stop the "script kiddies" (unskilled pseudo-hackers) from attacking your site but the real deal hackers just laugh at IP blocking.
There are so many "onion" (proxy) servers out there and hacker compromised private & public computers & servers (unknown to the host) I could sign on to this site from a different IP shell address every 5 minutes for a week & never leave my living room. :geek:
I could do an "IP bounce" off a compromised computer or server in Britain & be sitting in my living room thousands of miles away & you'd think the attack came from Britain.
These guys may be Chinese or Nigerian & they could very well be Americans or Canadians operating through a network of "onion" servers.
If your aim is to be hacker proof or even convincingly hacker resistant you're going to have to do a lot better than that. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Good luck on that IP blocking strategy. :D :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:IP blocking might stop the "script kiddies" (unskilled pseudo-hackers) from attacking your site but the real deal hackers just laugh at IP blocking.
There are so many "onion" (proxy) servers out there and hacker compromised private & public computers & servers (unknown to the host) I could sign on to this site from a different IP shell address every 5 minutes for a week & never leave my living room. :geek:
I could do an "IP bounce" off a compromised computer or server in Britain & be sitting in my living room thousands of miles away & you'd think the attack came from Britain.
These guys may be Chinese or Nigerian & they could very well be Americans or Canadians operating through a network of "onion" servers.
If your aim is to be hacker proof or even convincingly hacker resistant you're going to have to do a lot better than that. :mrgreen:
You're always so supportive in the morning, thank you! Actually, the hacks now under employ know what they are doing, that is what they get paid for. The work has become a burden otherwise and I'm no longer interested in doing it. Without the help it gets to the point of saying screw it and just shut it down.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:
pricedo wrote:IP blocking might stop the "script kiddies" (unskilled pseudo-hackers) from attacking your site but the real deal hackers just laugh at IP blocking.
You're always so supportive in the morning, thank you! Actually, the hacks now under employ know what they are doing, that is what they get paid for. The work has become a burden otherwise and I'm no longer interested in doing it. Without the help it gets to the point of saying screw it and just shut it down.
I'm not the most politic person on earth without a doubt.
Just don't want anyone to be lulled into a false sense of security regarding the clear & present danger internet hackers and cyber-fraudsters represent to website hosts and the public in general today.
These are NOT victimless crimes.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

Ranch Dog wrote:
It is easy to forget what these sites take in the form of time, work and money, especially being rather ignorant in the ways of the Internet like I am. . Wish there were something we could do to help out. Maybe a donation link (if there isn't one already I have overlooked) we could use to chip in to help you support it. Good sites like this one are not the norm so would hate to see it go.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Arktikos wrote:It is easy to forget what these sites take in the form of time, work and money, especially being rather ignorant in the ways of the Internet like I am. . Wish there were something we could do to help out. Maybe a donation link (if there isn't one already I have overlooked) we could use to chip in to help you support it. Good sites like this one are not the norm so would hate to see it go.
Thanks for the consideration Arktikos but donations are not necessary. The time consuming part was in deleting the registrations. I was seeing a hundred or so a day. It would be easy to block delete them but that might delete a legitimate registration. Each one must be looked at. Pricedo is wrong. IP addresses for the countries in question are well know. These are communist states that control everything their population does with the outside world. Their IPs are registered in large blocks and are well known. Also, their command of the English language is pitiful, their construction of user names and email addresses are readily apparent and laughable.

As far as keeping them at bay, I have not received one bad registration in the last 48 hours and that speaks for itself.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I didn't say in any way, shape or form that IP addresses for specific countries weren't well known.
In simple situations an IP address can be mapped to a physical address.
What I did say is that people (bad people) who are doing bad and fraudulent things and want to hide their physical location and identities can use intricate configurations of proxy servers and compromised computers to do exactly that.
The IP address you detect from these fraudsters many of whom are quite skilled is NOT the IP address of the hackers own computer but that of a proxy server or compromised computer far from the hackers true physical location.
I sympathize with your situation.
The Internet like our city streets has become a predatory & dangerous place where information, identities & money are compromised & stolen every day.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

I saw that the Henry site has been hacked to bits. Looks like maggots on a carcass . Kinda sad.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!