help deciding between trucks guys...

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: help deciding between trucks guys...

Post by Ranch Dog »

Some really nice choices so the decision will be tough!
Michael
alphalimafoxtrot

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

Adam the OP here again - dogs getting woke up, so better hurry!
(I swear all they need is to hear my coffee maker and "big boy" Wolfgang is up - "little girl" Honeybee likes to sleep in with her mom, LOL!)

So I forgot to mention, I tested out a coworker's Ford King Ranch F-150 with the crew cab, 4x4, and Ecoboost V6 setup. He joked that I shouldn't take it over 100 mph in the school parking lot, and he wasn't kidding - on the open road (not the school parking lot!!) that V6 twin turbo kicks some serious acceleration!

Other thing, I believe the Ford KR is about the nicest interior of the big 3. I'm still not interested in the twin turbo V6 because I want to KISS my truck, not fix it when too many things fail, but Ford offers traditional V8's so they're still in the game.

I've test driven several GMC/Chevy 1500 crew cabs from 2009-2016 and they all are just fine for me. All I have to endure is the GM name-bashing from my KR-owning coworker at school, if I buy what he calls a "brand X" truck instead of a Ford!

My Dodge tests have not yet included a gas/Hemi V8 only since I had initially been shopping for a Cummins, before my wife and I both agreed on a gasser for whatever truck we get. I'm fine with that, so no "diesel-bashing" my sweetie pie OK!! The Dodge trucks I've been sitting in aren't quite as nice of interior as the GM's or the Fords, IMHO.

Again, it's all going to come down to best value overall - especially since they all have great V8's and options. 'Merica! Nuff said.

PS...when am I gonna remember to write about my recent Rossi 92 shoot fest? Isn't that why I'm logged in? :roll:

All right - enough silliness - today I'm taking my dog to work, he's gonna help me close out my classroom for next year! My wife's taking our "girl dog" to her school today, as well - hey they're our "fur kids" since both of my kids are in college!

Take care, have fun, don't forget to laugh when you make mistakes and fall down. Especially when you are in the middle of teaching a room full of immature 4th graders.

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I need to go LOOK again during the upcoming week/holiday!

P.S. I think I mentioned a buddy's sister who's husband owned a Dodge just bought one and his mother then went out and bought a NICER Dodge truck. Knowing his sister I can't help but think that might have stuck in her craw a mite.

In addition one of my buds is a diesel head and he said one of his buds picked up a new Dodge diesel with ALL the bells and whistles in the heavier setup and they took it out on fire roads and it drove like a Cadillac. He said it was like they were on a smooth highway in a sedan.

I've got to go out and try some stuff so I can make a decision and stop waffling and wishing.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I want a new Ford with trailer backing assist :D

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
alphalimafoxtrot

Guys,
thought I'd get back in here and touch base with my truck quest - which is ongoing.

I'm pretty much set on a 2010-2014 Chevy/GMC 2500HD crewcab longbed 4x4 6.0 gasser. Not that I haven't looked over every Ford/Dodge 3/4 ton that fits the same description. Just realistically, I'm having more luck locating decent used trucks that fit this description and in my sub-25K price range with the GM trucks.

Fords have been overpriced at least around my area, and the Dodges are few and far between in the longbed with crewcab - not interested in the smaller quad cab arrangement. If I'm going longbed and 4-door, I'm going for the roomiest cab I can.

Next stop is visiting a 4-wheel camper dealer in either PA or in NH when we are up that way in a few weeks. My wife and I (and our dogs!) are shopping for something like their Grandby model pop-up truck camper.

Four Wheel Camper Grandby model
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Good luck and remember this should be fun!
Michael
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

Didn't Chevy switch from coil springs up front to torsion bar springs on their HD models ?

I remember Dodge/Chrysler used to tout them long long ago. I remember the wheels would cant funny when turned. Chrysler later gave up on them.

Beginning in '97 Ford went with torsion bars up front on their F150's and light duty F250's. I've driven one for years. Have had to up the torque to keep them from sagging. Sometime later, Ford switched back to coil springs and they now ride very nicely.

I test drove a new Ram peekup last fall and noted on their 2500 that coils were used all the way around. Very nice ride for a heavier duty truck.

After much experience with the torsion bar front springs, don't think I would get another truck with them, just my personal assessment.

Might be some fellas here with real experience with the new chevies and front torsion bar suspension that can offer good reports of them. I did have a short conversation a few years ago with one rancher, at a gas station in Pocotello, who saw my Ford and told me he switched from Ford trucks to the Chevy, saying it rode better both on road and across his ranch. We both agreed the low slung frame of Chevy was a ground clearance issue on king cab long box models out in the rough.

Probably not a bad truck with any of the Big 3 manufacturers in any case.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

It would take me a month of Sundays to describe the GM truck front suspension changes but to make it simple I'll just say this....

Only 4WD 1500-3500 has torsion bars. 2WD has coils.

This started with the '88 1500 and the '90 2500-3500 (before '90 the big trucks were still R/V bodies not C/K).

In 2007 when the GMT900 came out all 1500s were coil over shock (like struts but without connection to knuckle). The 2500/3500 remained torsion.

That's the way it is now.

I've seen no issues with the strength or design. The reason GM moved to torsion bars on 4WD is because GM stopped using WWII era front axles in 88-90. They're fine for a tank or crawler, not for something that has to suite spoiled buyers that expect a better than buckboard ride quality from a $50-70K truck (new).

A new 3500 six-wheeler has torsion bars the diameter of my wrist.

My 900 body 2WD 1500 has over a foot of frame clearance with stock 20s and the rear lowered 1.5". I'm 5'10" and a new 2500 4WD has its bed rail at my shoulder.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
alphalimafoxtrot

Hey team Rossi - the OP is back from vacation, just started the new school year Monday. Here's the truck update, once and for all!
Two days after our return from 3 weeks in New Hampshire and New England, I bought a throwback to my landscaping days of the 80's and 90's - a 2017 Chevy 2500HD WT "double cab" longbed with snowplow prep package. Yep, very basic and very plain white 4x4 with the 6.0 L96 motor and trailer package/skid plates options and so on. Why this new truck instead of my plan to go used?
Long story, but the used market was not giving me the deals and seemed like I was too picky on every one I tested. Kept finding some little thing I didn't like, or the dealer couldn't answer a question or something else.

Went with a dealer clearance/internet sale at the local Chevy dealer. I think I did well, and now I'm real happy to be tooling around in the same basic truck - with rubber floor mats instead of carpet - as I was doing with my '86 K30 longbed, and my '88 K20 longbed snowplow trucks.

This is REAL fancy for me though - has power windows! Power door locks! Never had those before. Also - hold your breath - factory tinted rear and back door glass! Wow! And cruise control!

Anyway, since I'm a guy who keeps cars for a long time (unless of course VW has a diesel scandal, which involves both of the cars I own) it mattered to me that I had "history" with the drivetrain. Oh, that is another feature new to me - the engine hour meter. That's nice. Guess 4 wheel discs is good too, also air bags are a nice idea.

Can you tell I'm not too interested in the High Country kinda models? +guns

Take care all. Now, planning for my pickup camper!

Adam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I think it was a smart buy, especially in that you hang on to things. The used truck market here is ridiculous.
Michael