John Kort is ill

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: John Kort is ill

Post by Ranch Dog »

Steelbanger wrote:Some of his friends are going to set up an auction type sale. When I learn the details I will post them for those of you who are interested.
Do you have an update on his health Frank?
Michael
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Steelbanger »

Michael,

I can't find the post where John talked about selling his moulds but it was a brief post and ended with John saying that he doesn't have long. His exact wording was enough to make a grown man cry.

Prayer is our weapon in helping John.

I've been watching for a line or two about loading and shooting the 35 30-30 but so far it has been evading me.

Frank
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Steelbanger wrote:Michael,

I can't find the post where John talked about selling his moulds but it was a brief post and ended with John saying that he doesn't have long. His exact wording was enough to make a grown man cry.

I've been watching for a line or two about loading and shooting the 35 30-30 but so far it has been evading me.

Frank
Thanks, Frank for the update on John. You are right, prayer is needed.

Concerning the 35/30-30, I've been updating my progress on the Lee Loader. I have another update as to the shooting I did Friday, but I haven't posted it as yet. Hopefully today.

What I hope to do in the next day or two is to clean the barrel with Shooter's Choice Lead Remover to make sure I'm down to metal and then polish it with JB Bore Paste. After that, I'm going to send some jacketed bullets down it, the 180-grain Speer Flat Points, and then clean it to make sure it is free of copper. Then come back to the Lee C358-200-RF. This will generate additional fire formed brass and give me an idea of the accuracy potential of the rifle. As a 30 caliber jacketed or lead shooter, it was extremely accurate and I suspect it still is.
Michael
runfiverun
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by runfiverun »

if anybody hears anything please, please post it here.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

Steelbanger wrote:Michael,

Frank
This is a real tough break for a fellow that seems respected and liked by forum members. I am at a loss, as I don't know who John Kort is. Steelbanger, do you, or others, have any brief biographical info you can share ?

I lost a brother to lung cancer.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

Whoops ... didn't intend to put the kibosh on the thread by asking the question. I'll just mosey along. Prayers to your friend.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I too was hoping for a reply.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I think Steelbanger only comes by about once a week. I'm sure he will let us know a bit about the guy.
Michael
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Steelbanger »

Here is a link to a bit of information regarding John Kort. http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=69612

I met John about 10-12 years ago at a Levergun State Silhouette match. He was about bubbling over with information and his knowledge of gun history, ammunition, and various other topics seemed limitless. Learning that John was from Erie I was surprised as he looked and spoke like a westerner. Over the years we met at many matches but the one I never got to was the Levergun Jubilee at Ridgway, which was fired in October. I've slowed down, haven't fired a match in three years but I always looked forward to seeing John. I've been praying that I get another chance to just sit and listen. Also, John had been working on writing a book, the subject of which was/is the 30-30 Cartridge. Last time I asked about it he said that he had been too busy to get to it.

So if you read the link you'll see that John has been feeling a bit better and that's encouraging. May it continue.

Frank
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
runfiverun
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by runfiverun »

I should have guessed that Mike knew John.

just so those that read this know and don't know him understand what a loss he would Be

John is just about a walking encyclopedia on the 30 win and other rounds from the 1870-1910 time frame. [and many earlier cartridges]
the guns, the loads, the bullet styles used, and all manner of that kind of stuff.
I had some dealings with him a couple of years back and some discussions through the years where I picked up some very god tidbits of information from him.