Grooves

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Grooves

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I was out at the JES site yesterday and notice that he can do the rebores with 3, 4 or 5 grooves. So I started searching, unsuccessfully, for information on what the difference would be in the 38-55 I'm planning or any rifle for that matter. I found one passing mention of the "very accurate" 2 groove 03 barrels and cast bullets but in going round on line with different search terms and looking through what I have here at home I found nothing.

So if you guys know or know of a discussion on this subject, point me there, and thanks.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Grooves

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
This discussion went through Castboolits some time ago. It seems a barrel will be accurate with whatever amount of grooves if they are cut correctly and accurately.
Our assortment of JES cut barrels has 3 and 4 grooves well covered and one 5 groove. They all shoot very well.
Some 2 groove Springfields shoot incredibly well.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ditto what Missionary has to say.
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Did a lot of reading over at castboolits the last 2 days. As has been noted it seems to mater more the quality of the work than the number of groves. After all the reading I've come to the conclusion that 3 grooves will do the job.
Now to work out the budget.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Good morning
I do not think you will regret the decision.
I "think" the cutting of the 5 groove was to appease "traditionalists" who wanted to stick with historical barrel configurations.
When you get into caliber 45 and caliber 50 it does seem better to add another groove / land configuration to the inside of the barrel. You are dealing with metal movement, friction and resistance. More grooves give the bullet mass and the disrupted portions a better "flow".
But in the end it all comes down to accuracy. Internal ballistics is a fascinating subject but means nothing if the projectile goes merrily off to another target stand.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.