Show us your pets

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
doskiez

Show us your pets

Post by doskiez »

I am sure many of us have pets that we are very proud of, just as we are proud of our firearms so since I dont see a thread in here for it, lets see some pictures of your pets. I will start off. My wife has a lab boarder collie mix named Brandi and a Chiuauah named Paige. She had these before we got married and I got a blue heeler puppy about 7 months ago named Hank who is my constant companion around the ranch and is in training to be my cattle working dog.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rio Grand .45-70
Many more guns, reloading equipment, etc etc.
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Show us your pets

Post by joec »

Last June I lost the last dog I will ever own so now is a pair of manx cats named Bird and Dog.
TheBoys.jpg
And Kattie a mixed Russian Blue
katie (1024x684) (Small).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joe
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

This is my Red Heeler+. Her name is Milagro but we tend to call her Millie as most folks have problems with the pronunciation. My wife and I adopted her from a shelter in San Antonio that specializes in working dogs, mainly cow dogs. She was left at the shelter with most of her right leg missing so it was removed at the shoulder. She gets around just fine. The cat really belongs to my parents who live on the ranch as well. He was a stray that worked his way up to the house. We get a lot of that, both cats and dogs, and they end up biting the dust pretty quick. I was asked to let this fellow stay and see how he works out. It has worked out very well, as Amos is quite the ranch cat. Not a battle big enough for him not to wade into. Millie and Amos are best friends and have each other's back at all time. They make a great combo.
Amos & Mille 02.JPG
My daughter, granddaughter, and grandson live in another home on the ranch. My daughter and granddaughter leave for work/school every weekday morning and my wife watches our two year old grandson Noah for the day. He absolutely loves these two and it is returned. We joke about the fact that he is growing up thinking that dogs have three legs and cats four!
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:We get a lot of that, both cats and dogs, and they end up biting the dust pretty quick.
Around here you wouldn't need to fire a shot to control small feral dogs & cats.
The "yotes" are our animal control
A smaller stray dog wouldn't last long hereabouts with all the coyotes around.
You don't see em lots but you know they're always near-bye.
That cat would just be considered a light snack to a "yote".

I would think a stray dog or cat would need to be pretty fleet-of-foot to get by that gauntlet of hungry hogs around your place RD? :?:
I'll bet that Amos & his 3 legged buddy don't stray far from the veranda. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Or perhaps cut from the mold of this cat. :D

Joe
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

This being semi desert country, our coyotes are not big critters and average around 35#. Only the smallest dogs need worry. Cats have the ability to move up in any of the brush or trees. It seems if they make it about six months, they have learned enough skills to survive.

Cats have no issue with the hogs. Hogs have a natural fear of dogs and bay up without a lot of fight. The more dog experience a hog gets, the less they fear. I was working on a irrigation spray head out on a food plot, Millie bayed a large sow that was taking a siesta on the edge field. She was really proud of herself! She would rush in a bite the big hog on the throat and it would squeal like a piglet. Every thing was going fine until Ms. Tripod tripped in the plowed field, head over heels. The sow disappeared on an instant. I could tell she was embarrassed.

She is very fast, less drag. Just doesn't corner well.

Posted via Tapatalk while hunting!
Michael
doskiez

Post by doskiez »

Ranch Dog wrote:.....She is very fast, less drag. Just doesn't corner well.

That reminds me of a good story. When I purchased my heeler his tail was docked, I had asked the guy I bought him from on the phone if his tail was docked or dew claws removed? I dont really care either way, I was just curious. Later after Hank got a little older I was able to go pick him up and sat and talked to the guy for a while. He was another cattle rancher and a down to earth guy. I got him talking about all the people that had called him about the dogs. He talked about some that wanted the dew claws and tail removed, some only claws, some only tail, and by the 6th or 8th caller he was getting fed up with being told how he should raise his dogs. One of the last people that called just went on and on about how docking the tails was a bad practice and it would confuse the dogs and throw off their balance After hearing this he said, well thats all fine and good but I have never had one flip while turning a corner, so I think they can balance just fine without them.
Rio Grand .45-70
Many more guns, reloading equipment, etc etc.
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Steelbanger »

Here's my Beagle doing a trick I taught him, walking on water! This particular trick is only performed at certain times of the year. In the summer he much prefers to wade rather than stay on the surface.
Walking on Water.jpg
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Neat trick, the best mine can do is eat in command!

Michael
Trailboss
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Trailboss »

Wish I had a dog again. My ol buddy passed a few years ago. Have a big cat but he doesn't quite do it.
Aim small, miss small.