CCW (Concealed Carry Weapon) permits

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

CCW (Concealed Carry Weapon) permits

Post by pricedo »

Has anybody obtained a CCW (Concealed Carry Weapon) license or permit from their respective jurisdictions?
I spend most of my stateside time in Maine & New Hampshire and hold a "Maine Permit To Carry Concealed Firearms" and a New Hampshire "Pistol/Revolver License".
I didn't renew my Utah or Pennsylvania licenses in the hope the "Federal Reciprocity Bill HR822" would pass and obviate the need (and cost)to carry a wallet full of CCW permits around.
I don't carry concealed on "the street" (don't see a need for it) but like to carry my hunting handgun under my jacket when hunting in inclement weather conditions to shield it from the elements and obtained the licenses cause this could be construed by a LEO as concealed carry and a felony in most states without a permit.
The permits are also good ID which quickly establish that you're "squeaky clean" (no felonies or spousal abuse) and that you're one of the good guys when you present it to a LEO or any other official.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CCW (Concealed Carry Weapon) permits

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yeap, Texas. Long list of agreements. I carry with a copy of agreement when I travel and do not travel to States without agreements as I will be put in a position of not being able to defend myself or family.

I've heard horror stories on CC during traffic stops. I've had more than my fair share. Never been a issue.

Posted via Tapatalk while hunting!
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:Yeap, Texas. Long list of agreements. I carry with a copy of agreement when I travel and do not travel to States without agreements as I will be put in a position of not being able to defend myself or family.

I've heard horror stories on CC during traffic stops. I've had more than my fair share. Never been a issue.

One of the main peeves that turned me off concealed carry on the street was the no carry zone laws which differ from state to state and some people don't even realize they are breaking the law for instance when they carry a concealed firearm into a federal building or a post office, bars where alcohol is served, some churches, posted building, some university campuses......etc.....etc......etc.....etc.
Getting caught carrying in a no carry zone through ignorance of the law could land you a felony conviction and mark the end of your firearms owning days.
Exact compliance with the no carry zone laws in many states is a tedious PITB proposition and you'd soon run out of patience like I did considering the number of times you'd be legally required to arm & disarm in a single day as you went about your business.
In my home I have the best self defense beside my bed ever made and the easiest to defend in court.........a full length wooden Louisville Slugger baseball bat.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yeah, you must do your home work.

Michael
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Steelbanger »

I have had a PA CCW for many years and usually carry, with a few exceptions like church, family gatherings and other social activities. We have reciporocal agreements with other states and should I be traveling I would have to check exactly who's on the list. I spend much solitary time walking with my dog and feel safer while packing. Where I live we have had an onslaught of younger people moving in and none of these seem to have a job. They all seem to know each other and my thoughts go back many years to my boy scout days and their motto "Be prepared."

Three of our bordering states are NY, NJ, and MD and are among the most gun hating states in the east. I have a sister that resides in the Peoples Republik of Maryland but I never visit because of their laws.
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Living in Kentucky ours is accepted in many but not all. Here is a good place to check http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry ... _maps.html
Joe
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Steelbanger wrote:I have had a PA CCW for many years and usually carry, with a few exceptions like church, family gatherings and other social activities. We have reciporocal agreements with other states and should I be traveling I would have to check exactly who's on the list. I spend much solitary time walking with my dog and feel safer while packing. Where I live we have had an onslaught of younger people moving in and none of these seem to have a job. They all seem to know each other and my thoughts go back many years to my boy scout days and their motto "Be prepared."

Three of our bordering states are NY, NJ, and MD and are among the most gun hating states in the east. I have a sister that resides in the Peoples Republik of Maryland but I never visit because of their laws.
Let my PA LTCF go this spring & kept ME & NH in the hopes that HR 822 would make CC permits universal like driver's licenses are now in "participating" states.
Personally I can't see NY city or state complying with this federal law as long as Michael Bloomberg draws breath.

Can see ANTI being adopted as the NATIONAL flavor after yesterdays election. :twisted:
What were the American people thinking? :?: :x
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:Yeap, Texas. Long list of agreements. I carry with a copy of agreement when I travel and do not travel to States without agreements as I will be put in a position of not being able to defend myself or family.

Some county Sheriffs have their own ideas on CCW and will tell you what you can do with the agreement.
For example some PA cities & counties (especially Philly) are notorious for ignoring so-called "peremptory" state law which is supposed to prevail over local laws and ordinances & putting their own (illegal) constraints on the right to keep & bear arms.
The agreement %@*&$ is academic if you're cooling your heels in a holding cell or county bucket repelling the advances of love deprived "lifers" and looking forward to spending tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees to clear up the matter.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
doskiez

Post by doskiez »

Texas CHL for me. I carry off and on depending on where I am going (no carry zones and all). I would carry a lot more often but my overly oppressive work place frowns upon such things. I always carry when I travel (mainly in the south where reciprocity is common). I have never had an issue (knock on wood)
Rio Grand .45-70
Many more guns, reloading equipment, etc etc.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

doskiez wrote:Texas CHL for me. I carry off and on depending on where I am going (no carry zones and all). I would carry a lot more often but my overly oppressive work place frowns upon such things. I always carry when I travel (mainly in the south where reciprocity is common). I have never had an issue (knock on wood)
Many follow the "out of sight out of mind" or "don't ask-don't tell" paradigm when carrying a concealed defensive handgun.
The no carry zones are silly.........the state either trusts you to carry the gun or they don't. I don't all of a sudden become a raving lunatic or immoral just because I walk into a post office or onto a university campus but the law is the law.
If you get busted and convicted of a felony, shooting, hunting and owning guns goes down the toilette FOREVER cause now you're a convicted felon and a prohibited person and you won't pass any more NICS (Brady) checks.
I'm not one to be out and about at night and don't visit "seedy" areas of town.
I'm also not a small guy and am in pretty good shape and can hold my own in an altercation.
The full sized solid wood Louisville Slugger under my bed when swung by me is going to send a home invader or aspiring burglar into a very starry Twilight Zone and is a lot easier to explain in court that a Smith & Wesson snub-nosed 38.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA